Chapter 25

'Yes Michael.' The AI replied. Michael then headed back downstairs and got back into KITT. 'How did he know you were coming?'

'I don't know, but he always covers his tracks so we've got to find another lead before he disappears again.'

'I agree and Devon is meting us nearby in the Semi.'

'Ok, let's see if they've found anything new.' He said and he pushed his foot down on the accelerator as they drove down the street.

'Actually Michael, after looking at everywhere Tesler has been for the last month we can see that he has been to the same coffee shop every week on Monday at 8:00 AM which is where these photos were taken of the two of them.' Devon explained.

'I was able to tap into Tesler's phone as he was talking with Durant and he revealed that he would be taking a friend with him to their next meeting.' Bonnie added.

'He also said that Durant had never seen him before and that Tesler would be picking him up and taking him over, the contacts name is Alan Colleman.'

'Now that Tesler's dead he won't be taking his friend to that meeting which means I can take his place.' Michael realised.

'No.' Bonnie shook her head.

'Why not?'

'RC will do it. Durant knows you Michael and no matter what disguise you use he will recognise you and not only will that stop our chances of getting him, it will also put your life in even more danger, besides it's in RC's old neighbourhood and.... I don't trust you not to murder him in cold blood.' She said quietly.

Michael stared at her shocked, she knew him too well, that was exactly what he had intended to do. He deserved to die the most gruesome death possible and he would give it too him, but as he looked into his girlfriends eyes he saw not only determination, but also fear. Fear of him and what he could become if he went through with his plan.

What would he lose if he killed Durant? Yes he would finally have revenge for everything that phsyco had done to him, but what would Bonnie think of him? He would be just like Durant, a murderer. Then there was Ashley, how would she react to him knowing that he had killed someone? Even if that man had shot her and caused her too leave, she wouldn't forgive him and he wouldn't get to see her or anyone from the Foundation for at least fifteen years as he would be put in prison. He didn't want their relationship to turn out like Tonie and her father, after all she hates him for not being there because he was in prison. No Bonnie was right, he couldn't kill Durant.

At the Rider household it was time for dinner and while she was hungry, Ashlyn didn't want to make an appearance. She was embarrassed after what she had said on the way back from the beach and Hailey had no doubt told their parents what had happened, so she just knew she was going to be in trouble. With these thoughts whirling around in her head she was surprised to hear a knock on her door.

'Ash, can I come in?' It was Mathew.

'Sure.' She sighed and the boy walked in, closing the door behind him.

'I'm really sorry about Hailey, she just-'

'It's ok. I'm sorry for what I said earlier; I was rude, selfish and unkind.'

'So was Hailey, if she had listened to you she never would have gotten into trouble in the first place and blaming you for her mistake was wrong. Anyway, dinner's ready. You coming?'

'I guess.' She replied and followed him out into the kitchen. Everyone else was already sitting at the dining table and there were three seats left, or there would have been if Hailey hadn't put her bag on the one next to her. So Ashlyn sat next to Mathew, there was no way she would've sat next to Hailey anyway.

As she sat down she noticed Teagan and Jackson share a slightly worried look before turning their attention to the food in front of them. After several minutes Jackson decided to break the awkward silence that had fallen over them by asking the one question Ashlyn never thought he would.

'How was the beach today?'

Ashlyn nearly fell out of her chair, she was sure that Hailey would have told them what had happened and claimed that it was all her fault, but instead she just smiled sweetly and happily replied:

'It was great!'

'Yeah, we had so much fun!' Mathew added.

The adults looked at Ashlyn waiting for what she had to say about her first day with her new "siblings".

'It was heaps of fun.' She replied, forcing a smile in order to please her "parents".

'Glad to hear it.' He smiled.

'Ashlyn, do you do any sports?' Teagan asked.

'Well, I used to play netball, I've also played basketball a few times, wasn't very good at it, but I would like to try something different.'

'Well since you start school on Monday, I'm sure they'll have posters up for sports and other co-curricula activities that you can do. After all Mathew does soccer and Hailey does netball.' She suggested.

When the family finished eating Ashlyn went to her room. She Started getting undressed into her pyjamas when she paused and looked at herself in the mirror. She noticed the small circular mark just to the left of where her heart was. It still hurt occasionally, but not enough to want to tell anyone about it.

As she looked at it the scene replayed in her mind and a crash sounded from the kitchen, she held back a scream as she saw the flash and stumbled backwards away from the mirror, falling over on to the floor. She sat there shaking until Mathew came in to see if she was alright, she managed to pick herself up and get herself together, but not before he knew that something was majorly wrong. However she refused to tell him and he left, letting her to finish changing and getting into her pyjamas.

Michael couldn't stop thinking about his only daughter, how was she? Were they treating her alright? What had she told them? All of these questions circled around in his mind prompting him to call her on his comlink, but he held back knowing that she was probably already asleep and he wouldn't want to wake her. So instead he went downstairs to find Bonnie, he wasn't surprised when he found her talking with KITT.

'Bonnie, is something wrong?' Heard KITT ask.

'No what would make you ask that?' She replied.

'You seem upset.'

'I can't keep anything from you, can I.' She smiled.

'It would seem not.'

'Well, I want you and Michael to catch Durant, but at the same time I'm worried that he'll do something that he'll regret later.'

'He did beat Durant pretty badly the last time they met and he does have a lot more against him this time, but I doubt Michael would do anything truely regretful.'

'I promise I won't.'  Michael said causing Bonnie to jump as he walked in.

'Michael you nearly gave me a heart attack.'

'Sorry.'  He apologised as he wrapped his arms around her in a gently hug.

'How long were you standing there?'

'A little while.'  He shrugged.  'Long enough to hear that you're afraid of what I might do, but I promise I won't do anything that I will regret.'

'I trust you.'

'Still I can't get my mind away from Ashley.'  He sighed.  'Do you think she's ok?'

'She might be upset for a while, but she'll be ok, Michael.'  Bonnie nodded.

'How do you know?'  He asked.

'Because she's strong and a fighter, like her father.'  She said giving him a peck on the cheek.

'I hope you're right.'

'Trust me, I am.'  She replied.  Then he went up to his room and got into bed where he fell into a restless sleep.