Chapter 22

'I-I should have known something like this would happen.' Ashley said shaking her head.

'What do you mean?' RC asked.

'I can never stay with people for too long before things go wrong and I've been causing so much trouble ever since I came here so maybe it is time I left.'

'Ashley don't think like that.' Bonnie said.

'Why not? It's true, I've never belonged anywhere.' Tears started to slip down her cheeks and she wiped them away frustrated.

'That's not true Ashley, you belong here with us.'

'No I don't.' She then got up and went to the bathroom, realising that she wouldn't be able to stop the tears that had begun to fall and needed privacy.  On the way however she found Devon sitting alone in an empty hallway with his hands over his face and he was crying softly.  Ashley knew he felt guilty which to her was even more reason she should leave and let them all go back to their lives the way they had been before they met her.  She then turned and went back to the room where Bonnie was still standing.

'Ashley I-'

'Please just go.  I want to be alone.'  She cut the woman off.  Bonnie nodded and the two of them exited silently while Ashley sat down on her bed.  She was about to get up and close the door when a beep came from her comlink.  'What is it KITT?'

'I heard what happened and I'm sorry.'  The AI said sadly.

'It's no big deal, I've moved around before, I'm used to it.'

'I understand, but you've got to admit that we mean more to you than others that you've had the misfortune to stay with.'

'That's true, but it doesn't mean that I can't walk away from it.'

'Ashley no one can walk away from the Foundation completely, Michael tried it once, but he came back.'

'Yeah well, if you haven't noticed KITT my Dad isn't exactly the toughest person around.'

'He's been through a lot more than you know, Ashley.'

'Yeah right, like he's ever been shot.'  She rolled her eyes.

'Actually he's been shot at least three times.'

'Really?'

'Yes and you really should have a little more respect for your father.'

'Well, that's easier said than done some times, anyway have you seen Jennifer yet?'

'Yes and there's nothing she could do.'

'I see.'

'Michael's in a foul mood so you had better watch out as we're on our way back now.'

'Thanks for the warning KITT, bye.'

'See you soon.'

Then she got up off her bed and walked over to her door, she stared out for a moment before she slammed the door and locked it, listening to the bang as it echoed around the room.  If she was completely honest with herself she was kind of glad to be going, after all maybe this time she could actually find a place where she could be normal.

Her thoughts were interrupted, however, by a bark.  She opened the door and walked out into the hall, she she grinned as a little bouncing sheltie puppy ran over to her.  He was mostly a sable colour with a cute white "collar" of fur around his neck, he also had a white strip down his snout along with white front legs and back feet.  His eyes wee deep chocolate brown and tail was dark brown and black.