Chapter 47

January 18, 2018

Hadley's POV

»Tokyo, Japan«

I woke up refreshed to the smell of pancakes and bacon. Kenny had closed the curtains last night so the sun wouldn't wake me and so far, I'd call this day a win. But I had only been up not even a minute and the thought of Adam had automatically made the day a loss even before it began. I sat up on the couch and rubbed my eyes.

"Sorry, I thought I had the TV low enough." Adam said, quietly.

I looked at him sitting in the recliner as he grabbed the remote, and turned the volume down even lower than it already was.

"I made breakfast... if you want some." He added, before taking another bite from his plate. "They're blueberry." He offered a smile.

"Thanks, but no thanks." I mumbled tossing my blanket off of me. "I overslept -."

"Come on Had, I made them for you."

"Adam..." I groaned. "Y'know what fine, I'll eat the stupid breakfast." I said, just wanting him to leave me alone. I walked into the kitchen and made myself a plate before making my way back to the couch.

"What are you watching?"

"Well right now," he said letting out a short laugh. "a commercial."

"No fucking shit."

The two of us went silent after that. And hey, I wasn't complaining, the less he talks the better. But like all good things, nothing lasts forever.

"So I uh... I heard you and Kenny talking yesterday."

"And?"

"I'm happy for you."

That wasn't what I thought he was going to say.

I looked at him and raised an eyebrow in question.

"I'm happy that you're happy. I'm trying to get over you and obviously I haven't successfully done that yet but... I'm happy you've found someone else that makes you happy like you deserve to be."

I knew Adam was being sincere. I also knew it pained him to finally come to terms with me moving on.

I didn't know what to say.

"And I really do want to be friends with you... whenever you're ready for that... if you're ever ready for that again." He said cautiously, not sure of what I'd do. "And I know you probably still don't want this but -."

I waved him off.

"I don't."

He looked like he'd been punched in the gut.

"Oh... ok."

"I mean I appreciate it but it's fine. You know how I feel about birthdays and presents anyway."

A small smile appeared on his face.

"Yeah you never really were a fan of them."