Chapter 33

January 5, 2018

Hadley's POV

»Birmingham, England«

It was a few hours later and I was sat in a restaurant with Mark, Flash, Trent, Tyler and Pete. We were all in the middle of eating when my phone began to ring. I pulled it from my pocket to see Triple H calling.

"Guys quiet!" I told them before answering. "Hello Mr. Le-."

"Hello Hadley, I'm calling to tell you that unfortunately, Braun has decided to not take the storyline."

"What? But I -."

"I'm sorry Hadley, Braun told me that you would like to keep your relationship private."

"Relationship -?"

"I'm sorry, Hadley. I'm running late to a meeting, goodbye." He said before hanging up, not even waiting for a response from me.

I held a look of disbelief on my face as I set my phone on the table.

"Hadley... are you alright?" Trent asked, placing a hand on my back. I said nothing and leaning into him. He pulled me to him, holding me close. "Whatever it is, we're here for you." He cooed. On the other side of me, Mark hugged me as well as tears welled in my eyes.

"Braun declined the storyline." I said, suddenly becoming angry. They let me go and I grabbed my phone from the table. "Let me out." I told Trent. He moved from the bench and I slid out of the booth before walking outside with my phone.

"I'll go check on her." I heard Pete say as I walked out.

"Is that really the best option?" Mark asked.

"I'll handle the bill, all four of you, go." Trent said to Mark, Flash, Pete and Tyler.

I stood outside and stared at my phone angrily, think about what I was going to say to Braun. He cost me a chance at the championship. I may never get another shot at it. I decided to call him and it began to ring.

"Hello?" Braun answered groggily.

"Why the hell did you tell Hunter you didn't want to do the storyline?!" I said angrily.

"What? You said you didn't want to start anything."

"That's when I wasn't getting anything out of it!" I said. "You're a real big douchebag, Strowman."

"Hadley -."

"Pete was right. It was really stupid of me to invite you here. Inviting you here just got us closer and when I get close to people, they just let me down. You're no different than everyone else!"

"What is going on?"

"What the fuck do you mean what is going on? You screwed me out of the championship!"

"Hadley, I didn't -."

"If this is to get back at me for not doing the stupid mixed match challenge with you then you're a real -."

"A real what? Jerk for not getting told the whole story? It's not my fault, he didn't tell me about you getting the championship! I declined because you told me you didn't want a storyline together!" He said raising his voice. "And I only wanted to do the damn mixed match challenge so I could spend time with you." He sighed, calming. "So listen, I'm sorry. Ok? I'm sorry I ruined all your little plans because I actually listened to you when you said you didn't want a storyline." He said before hanging up.

I sighed and turned to see Mark, Flash, Pete and Tyler watching me. Pete had a stupid smirk on his face, as if he knew what had just happened during the phone call. I looked down and wiped a tear running down my face with my sleeve as Mark walked up to me before hugging me.

"I'm sorry, love." He said softly as I hugged him back, burying my head in his chest.

"You haven't done anything Mark." I said weakly. "It's..." I trailed off.

"I'm sure you'll get another shot." He said, letting me go and looking into my eyes. "There's no one more hardworking and deserving than you."

"I hope you're right." I said before looking past him and the rest of the group. "I've got to tell you guys something." I told Mark, he nodded, letting me go. I slowly walked up to the rest of the group with him following me, not sure of how I was supposed to start. I said nothing until Trent appeared.

"What happened?" Trent asked.

"I'm not getting my title shot." I said quietly, in fear of my voice breaking again. I cleared my throat and straightened up. "I've just decided... I'm going back to the states tomorrow morning. Catch a flight to Orlando and rest up until I've got to hit the road to Kansas City."

"But -." Tyler began before Trent stopped him. I sighed.

"Do what you have to, bab." Trent said. "We'll be here for you." He said giving me a small smile.

"Thanks guys." I said before hugging the group. "Can we just head back to the hotel?" I asked Mark and Flash. "I don't feel too good."

"Of course." Mark said.

"Can we come?" Tyler asked. I looked to him, Trent and Pete. "We want to make up for lost time."

"I want to be alone." I shook my head. "I'm sorry guys." I said before walking away.

"Sorry mates." Mark said before he and Flash followed me.

———

I felt so stupid. I shouldn't have said those things to Braun. I should've asked him what happened before I started yelling.

"You okay over there?" Mark said, catching me off guard.

"I- uhm- yeah fine." I said, failing to come up with anything else.

"You're mumbling over there." He pressed. I sat up on the bed that Braun and Seth had had during the trip.

"Can I ask you something?"

"You just did." He smiled, trying to lighten the mood.

"Mark I'm serious."

"Ok, go on."

"What can I do to get Braun to forgive me?"

"I'm not one for giving love advice." He said.

"Well I feel like an ass and I'll take anything I can get."

"I see you've been reading his letter." He said glancing at it, laying on the bed.

"Are you saying I should write him one?"

"I couldn't hurt, now could it?"

"I guess not." I said.