Chapter 38

January 9, 2018

Hadley's POV

»Birmingham, Alabama«

"Hadley?" I heard Braun say a few times. "Have you guys seen Hadley?"

I decided to get up from my seat on the floor and follow his voice.

"There you are, are you ok?" He asked pulling me into him, keeping me close, cradling my head in his hand and rubbing my back.

Normally I'd hate when people hugged me but, Braun made me feel... like I was home. Strange as it sounds.

I never responded. I just put my arms around him and sighed.

"I got you." He chuckled slightly, petting my hair. "I'm sure Seth is cussing them out right now." He said causing me to smile slightly and hug him a little tighter. "Also, if I knew it was your birthday, I would've gotten you something."

"It's not that big of a deal, it's kind of why I asked you out for tomorrow."

"You said it was just cause Tyler -."

"Would you just shut up before I change my mind?" I groaned, looking up at him for a moment before hugging him again.

"Sorry." He chuckled again. We let each other go and I crossed my arms.

"We should go see if Seth's still cussing them out. I've got a few choice words for those three -."

"Is that really a good idea?"

"Anything is a good idea when there's cake involved." I smirked, punching his arm lightly. He let out a short laugh before following me.

We made it back outside to see that Seth had backed them against a wall and was still cussing them out, that was until Adam cut him off, pushing his way past Seth and to me.

"Hadley, please come on. I've changed, I'm sorry, I still love you."

I looked over my shoulder at Braun.

"Would you be a dear...?" I trailed off with a slight smile. He smiled back before walking away and coming back with a handful of cake. I held out my hand and he handed it over. Next thing anyone knew, the cake was being smashed in Adam's face and I was licking my fingers with a smile on my face.

"I don't care that you're sorry, that you've changed or that you still love me. I know that Nick and Matt have more influence over you than you do yourself. Get lost. All of you." I said, glancing at the Bucks before turning, grabbing Braun's hand and walking back inside with Seth following close behind us.

"That was..." Braun trailed off smiling down at me.

"Thank you."

"Happy Birthday."

"Thanks Braun." I smiled, gripping his hand just a bit tighter.

"Speaking of! Braun come with me!" Seth said grabbing him by the shirt and dragging him away. "Go get the rest of that frosting off your face, babe!" Seth yelled to me as he continued to walk away with Braun.

I rolled my eyes at the nickname before walking to the locker room to freshen up. After fixing my appearance, I walked back to where Seth and Braun left me to see them there, talking. Braun held a bouquet of flowers in his hand, I noticed his forehead shined with nervous sweat as I approached them.

"Hey." I said, gaining their attention.

"I- uh..." Braun stuttered, holding up the flowers. I smiled and took them from him before standing on my tip toes and kissing him on the cheek.

"I know Seth got these to give to you to give to me but, thank you anyway." I said. "And thank you, Seth." I glanced at him, only to see him a ways down the hallway already.

"You-..." He said, pressing his fingers to his cheek where I had kissed him.

"Well don't go and be getting a stiffy now." I rolled my eyes playfully before smelling the flowers. His face turned pink and he let out a nervous laugh as I began walking away. "Are you coming or...?" I asked looking over my shoulder at him to see a dumbfounded look on his face, causing me to smile.

"Yeah." He said, rushing to catch up to me. He cautiously took my hand in his, lacing our fingers before letting out a nervous breath. "Is this ok?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" I asked, keeping my eyes ahead of me.

"I uh- no reason." He mumbled.

"We like each other don't we?" I asked, looking up at him to see him already looking down at me. His eyes were wide as if he were shocked by what I said, which he had every right to be.

"Yes." He said, sounding confident now. "We do."

Seth's POV

I had planned the roster get together for Hadley and now I had to clean everything up, even if that meant hiding the bodies of those three uninvited douchebags. I exited the building once again and looked around for them, they were no where in sight. I walked to the table where the ruined cake had sat and picked it up, throwing it into a dumpster nearby before folding up the table. I was about to pick it up and bring it back inside before I heard voices. Voices I knew all too well.

"I can't just give up on her, guys. I still love her."

"There's no point in chasing after her. She doesn't like you and we don't like her."

I leaned the table against the wall and followed the voices. I looked around the corner of the building to see Adam, Matt and Nick talking.

"I don't care if you don't like her!" Adam exclaimed. "I should've never listened to you guys about breaking up with her because it would "help my career"." He said using finger quotes.

"We honestly couldn't believe you went along with it." Matt said, looking at his brother, hitting his chest lightly.

"I shouldn't have." Adam said. "Because of you two, I lost the most impor-."

"I suggest you stop with this whole sob story and get to leaving already." I said, coming from behind the corner, cutting Adam off. "Get it through your thick skull that Hadley doesn't want you here. She doesn't want you in Florida. She doesn't want you anywhere. She wants you to leave her the fuck alone."