4.

One of the best things about where Derek lived was how close he was to his family. His mom was almost just down the street and his sisters weren't far and there was almost never a day that didn't go by without him seeing them or at least talking to them. And he always knew that after a long day at the hospital, he could go to his mom's house for dinner and have nothing to worry about . Meredith usually came with him and tonight was no different except she was acting strange and Derek wasn't sure what was wrong. He assumed she was just tired from being at work and after dinner, she'd be fine.

"Stop it." Meredith groaned, pushing his hand away from her hair as she curled into him on the couch.

"Stop what?" Derek frowned.

"You're pulling at my hair." Meredith groaned.

"Sorry...I didn't mean to." Derek sighed, pulling his hand away.

"I can leave."

"Why would you leave?"

"If you only want family time."

"I want you here." He breathed.

"Sorry....my back hurts."

"I'll give you a back rub after dinner."

"You two." Derek's younger sister Sarah walked into the room, carrying a glass of wine and sitting down on the arm chair. She had dark brown hair with auburn highlights and was always the most relaxed and laid back in the family.

"How's dinner coming?" Derek asked.

"Mom is frying the chicken now." Sarah replied.

"Good. We're hungry."

"So....what are you two doing tonight?" Sarah smirked.

"I don't know...I think we're just going to go home." Derek shrugged. "What do you think Mer?"

"I don't know." She shrugged as she looked at her fingers.

"Home where?" Sarah asked. It wasn't news to anyone that they stayed at each others houses all the time.

"Derek's I guess....." Meredith sighed.

"She's tired." Derek frowned, moving his hands to Meredith's shoulders.

"How was your date the other night?" His sister asked.

"It was fine...nothing special." Derek answered.

"Are you going to go out with her again?" Sarah asked as Meredith sat up, pulling her knees to her chest.

"I don't think so."

"We need to find you a woman." Sarah teased as Meredith looked down at her hands.

"I don't need you to find me a woman." Derek rolled his eyes. "I can find women just find on my own."

"Maybe she's right in front of you." His sister said quickly.

"What?" He looked up.

"Oh nothing." His sister winked.

"Meredith...do you want mashed potatoes or rice or both?" Derek's mother appeared in the doorway, her apron tied on.

"Mashed potatoes." Meredith breathed. "Please."

"Extra butter." Mrs. Shepherd smiled, disappearing back into the kitchen.

"I um...." Meredith bit her lip as she looked over at Derek. "What are we talking about?"