17.

Meredith and Derek had been really quiet since leaving the hospital. It had been a slow day so it wasn't because they were tired from a busy day. It wasn't that they had been overwhelmed with surgeries. It had just been weird since they had started kissing and hooking up on each other's couches. As they pulled into the parking lot of his apartment complex, Derek reached for their carry-out boxes and they got out. "Do you have your keys?"

"Yeah....they're in my pocket." Derek breathed.

"Got 'em." Meredith replied, reaching into his pocket before they walked up to the door way of his apartment.

"Thanks." He smiled weakly, walking into the house behind her and putting the food down on the kitchen counter.

"I am so glad to be home." Meredith breathed.

"Hmm..."

"Do you want a beer?" She asked, her voice soft as she walked to the refridgerator, bending over.

"Oh...no thanks."

"Really?"

"Yeah. I'll just...have water." He sighed, taking the containers of food out of the bags.

"Okay." Meredith reached for two bottles of water. He was being quiet which was exactly what they had been since all of this started.

"Cheese fries..."

"Mine." She turned around.

"Here." He smiled, holding out the container.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Do you want to eat in the living room?" She asked, grabbing a pile of napkins, knowing she would spill something.

"Yeah that's fine."

"Alright." Meredith sighed, walking towards the sofa.

"Do you want silverware?"

"Yeah...for my salad." Meredith replied, sliding down onto the floor.

"Okay." Derek breathed, grabbing silverware and more napkins from the kitchen before he went into the living room and sat down next to her, opening up the container with his sandwich.

"Mark was staring at me all day....then he hit my arm and said 'get it girl' as I ate my lunch." Meredith said as Derek turned the television on.

"Idiot." Derek muttered.

"And Lexie is being weird."

"They're...ketchup bottle or something." He shook his head.

"Huh?"

"Nothing."

"Bite." She lifted a fry and tilt her head back. "Here."

"No...I'm good."

"Just one."

"I...okay." Derek took a bite of the french fry.

"Now was that so hard?" She giggled as he gently licked a bit of ranch off of her fingers.

"No..." He smiled, reaching for a napkin.

"Good." Meredith whispered. He was being quiet and she wasn't sure if he was tired or if something else was up.

"Meredith."

"Hmm?" She hummed as she took a bite of her cheese fries.

"I have to ask you a favor."