9.

Meredith Grey was certain she would starve. Derek was out of cereal and now she remembered he had said something about needing to go to the grocery store yesterday. Now, she was contemplating making eggs and she was really hoping Derek would be home soon. He had left so quickly and now she was kind of worried that maybe she had done something. So she needed to eat. She really needed to eat because now she was starving and she had no idea when he would be home. As she turned the stove on and reached for a frying pan, she heard the front door close. She paused for a moment, hoping it wasn't a psycho crazy person before she walked over to get the eggs out to begin cooking. Derek probably hated her and that wasn't good when she was in love with him. Things needed to go better.

"I knew this would happen." Derek said, standing in the kitchen doorway.

"Knew what would happen?" She turned around, wearing his college sweatshirt over her jeans from last night.

"That if I left around meal time I'd find you trying to cook." He smiled.

"I'm hungry." She frowned. "And you left me."

"I had to take care of something." He walked into the kitchen ,taking the frying pan from her.

"You seemed upset with me this morning."

"I promise I wasn't."

"Your bathrobe smells like me now." She giggled weakly as he put the pan back on the stove.

"What were you trying to make?" He laughed.

"Eggs?"

"I'll do it."

"The ones with the yellow in the middle?"

"What else would I make you?"

"Scrambled."

"Which ones do you want?"

"Scrambled."

"Okay." Derek smiled, getting the carton of eggs from the fridge.

"I could have made them."

"And then I wouldn't have a place to live."

"Yes you would." She rolled her eyes.

"I'm sorry I left."

"You had something to take care of?"

"Yeah..."

"Okay." She leaned against the counter as he walked near the stove. His body language was quick and while he smiled at her, he tried to avoid looking her in the eyes. She wondered what she had done wrong to make him storm out, but then he claimed it was fine.

"How many do you want?" He asked her.

"Two eggs...." Meredith bit her lip.

"Coffee?" Derek asked.

"I already put a pot on...that I can do." Meredith yawned.

"Toast?"

"Yeah." She watched as he paused over the stove.

"Two slices with butter."

"Yeah."

"Can you get me a spatula?" He asked.

"Yeah." Meredith reached into the drawer, pulling one out and handing it to him. "I...."

"Yeah?"

"I'm running out of my shampoo and conditioner." Meredith watched as he adjusted the pan on the front left burner.

"I'll pick some up tomorrow."