13.

Another year was over....well almost over and apparently that meant it was time to dress up and go to a fancy party with everybody that he knew. If it had been up to Derek he would have stayed in with a movie and some food, celebrating the New Year quietly with Meredith by his side but instead they were getting all dressed up and ready to go to a party at Meredith and Lexie's apartment that Lexie had insisted on. He could believe that he was wearing a suit and waiting for Meredith to come out ready to go. He had been running a little late and had gotten changed at the hospital and Meredith was getting ready at his house and now it was almost time to go and he was waiting for her to come out of his bedroom.

"Mer..." Derek knocked on the door. He felt awkward, kind of like he was going to prom or something except now he wasn't in the band and wearing a dorky hat.

"Coming!" He heard her shout, then he heard cursing and a bang. "Oh that's my toe!"

"Are you okay?" He called, wanting to open the door and go in.

"Yeah!" He heard her pause and then the door opened. Her hair was curled a little bit and pinned half up, half down. The tear drop earrings she had purchased at a boutique in themall shined just as bright as her eyes and her smile was gentle as she pulled at the dress that fit to her body perfectly.

"Oh..." Derek breathed, hoping she hadn't heard him gasp. He had never seen her like this...dressed up and she looked...amazing.

"Sorry...I had to spray my hair and....retouch the caked makeup they did at the salon..." Meredith shook her head, looking nervous but she was positively breathtaking.

"No it's...you...wow."

"Wow?" She breathed as she reached for the way too small clutch Lexie had made her get.

"You look..."

"Hmm?" She took a deep breath.

"Beautiful." Derek whispered.

"Oh..thanks." Meredith blushed, looking down at the dress. "It's...Lexie thought this one was the best one."

"It's..." Derek breathed. He couldn't take his eyes off of her and the way the dress hugged her body. "Perfect."

"Oh." Meredith shifted on her feet.

"I guess...we should get going..."

"I just need my jacket..." Meredith pointed ahead at the coat closet.

"Right...I'll get it." He nodded. This was a date...or it wasn't a date but he was going to be a perfect gentleman and do everything that a date was supposed to do so he went to the coat closet, pulling out her black coat and holding it out so she could put it on.

"Thanks." Meredith smiled as he helped her into her jacket. "Did you turn all of the lights in the kitchen off or should I go..."

"I've got it."

"Okay." Meredith smiled as she stepped towards the door.

"Oh...here." He opened the front door for her.

"Thanks." Meredith breathed.

"You're welcome." Derek whispered.

"Do you want to take my car or...I could drive if you don't want to."

"No I'll drive."

"Okay." Meredith walked as he kept his hand on her back and walked her to the passenger side of his car.

"So this party is finally here." Derek breathed, opening the car door for her.

"Yeah." Meredith stepped in, sitting her clutch on her lap as she shut the door to the car and walked around. She took a deep breath right before he opened the door and slid in.