26.

When Derek's mom had suggested going out to lunch, it was the last thing he wanted to do. His and Meredith's trip to LA was quickly approaching and he knew that his mom was going to want to talk about it but he didn't want to think about it. They had been practically ignoring the subject since their fight on the day that she had been invited and they were doing fine, or at least pretending to be and wanted to keep it that way and he was afraid that talking to his mom was going to take them in the exact operation. But still he expected her invitation and instead of having lunch with Meredith in the cafeteria that day, he told her that he had an appointment and headed down the street to meet his mother for lunch.

"Sorry I'm late." Derek kissed his mom's cheek before taking a seat opposite her at the small cafe that he and Meredith loved to come to.

"Oh I wasn't waiting long dear." His mother replied, closing her menu.

"You look good."

"If I look good it's only because my Grandchildren keep me young."

"Has Nancy been using you as a babysitter?"

"Sarah actually."

"And she has the most rambunctious of the kids."

"But they're the smallest...she and Nathan think they're done having kids which means I may never get anymore grandchildren..." His mother said before sipping at her iced tea.

"Nice try, Mom." Derek rolled his eyes.

"I have no idea what you're speaking about."

"The answer to your question is I don't know when I'm going to have kids."

"Did I ask when you were going to become a father?" His mother asked innocently.

"What are you going to order?" He laughed.

"Turkey Club."

"I think I'll have the same."

"Is Meredith working today?" His mother asked.

"Yeah...she was in surgery when I left."

"She's a tough cookie." She laughed.

"She sure is." Derek chuckled, taking a sip of water.

"I'm sure you guys love being together....it probably killed all of the tension that had been building up."

"Yeah we're...we're doing good."

"Good." She nodded.

"But that's not what you invited me here for is it?" He looked up at his mother, waiting for the parade of questions about his and Meredith's plans for Los Angeles.

"UCLA." She breathed, putting her drink down. "Mark told me you were going with her to see the hospital."

"He's right. I am."

"They've been interested in her since she was about to become an intern."

"I know."

"I just hope you two won't be moving out there."

"They aren't interested in me." Derek sighed.

"But you won't try and transfer if she goes?"

"I guess I'd look into it."

"I can tell moving is something you don't want to do." Mrs. Shepherd frowned. "I understanf that perfectly well. The relationship is new."