10.

Weird. That was the only word Derek could use to describe what was happening. Everything was weird and different and he wanted to know what was wrong. He hadn't let Meredith in on how he was feeling, or anyone else for that matter so he didn't know what was going on. It was Christmas Eve and they were supposed to be happy and in the Christmas spirit but instead they were sitting in the hospital cafeteria at the table they always sat at in near silence.

"Is there something wrong with your food?" Derek asked, pushing his tray towards her. "You can have some of mine."

"What?" Meredith frowned, looking over at Derek as she snapped back to reality. "Oh...no. It's fine."

"You've barely touched it."

"It's fine." She shrugged.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong."

"Have you heard anymore about Lexie's party?" He asked, taking a bite of his salad and trying to get back to normal conversation with his best friend.

"She wants Champagne....and to not only get our hair and makeup done...but our nails too." Meredith groaned, stabbing into her yogurt.

"She's your sister." He chuckled. "Humor her."

"I am."

"Does she have a date?"

"I don't know..."

"Mer...are you sure you're okay?" Derek frowned.

"Yeah." Meredith had avoided eye contact with Derek since they had almost kissed. She wanted to kiss him and she couldn't so she just needed to not look at him.

"I think my mom is making turkey for tomorrow...and a big breakfast after we open gifts."

"That's...good." Meredith smiled weakly.

"I'm going to take your presents over tonight."

"To your Mom's?" She asked, taking a bite of the salad.

"Yeah. I have to wrap them first."

"I think it's the first year I have all of the presents wrapped before you do."

"I wasn't done buying them." He laughed.

"I went shopping with Lexie and your sister."

"I'm sure that was...an experience."

"Yeah."

"I actually have one more think to pick up for you after work."

"Oh." Meredith breathed, shaking her head quickly.

"What?"

"Nothing." She smiled.

"Do you have plans tonight?"

"I get off at nine so...nope."

"Okay."

"You?" She asked as he checked his phone.

"Not really." Derek answered.

"Not at all?"

"Mark wants to go out but...it's Christmas Eve." He breathed, looking over the table at her.

"Yeah...Christmas Eve." She breathed.

"So I thought you and I could..."

"What?" She asked, taking a sip of her bottled water.