Chapter 1

Sitting in Dr Webber's office I let my leg bounce nervously, this is it

Sitting in Dr Webber's office I let my leg bounce nervously, this is it. The start of my new life. Away from him and it all starts here at Seattle Grace Hospital in Seattle. "So doctor Tearney, I've got to say you have quite an impressive record" the older man says linking his hands and resting them on the desk in front of us, I nod my head smiling shyly "why do you want to work here?" he asks. I try to steady my hands by sitting on them while answering "my mother is from here, she used to work here before she went into the army" I explain "she always spoke about how much she loved it here" Webber nods his head and stands up. My heart plunges to my stomach but I stand up anyway, Doctor Webber offers me his hand a smile plastered onto his face "congratulations Doctor Tearney you have got the job" and suddenly I am feeling less sick. I take his hand and shake it "brilliant, when do I start?" I ask and he checks a piece of paper on his desk "right now" he says and I follow him out of the door.

We walk across the bridge to the other side of the hospital, the sun is peaking through clouds and glaring in through the glass roof. We walk through a set of double doors "this is a teaching hospital I am sure you know" Webber tells me and nod my head trying to keep up with him, "you will be assigned interns as when you need them" he says and finally we reach my department. Peds. Sick kids isn't what I pictured y life would consist of when I was younger but here I am anyways and I wouldn't change it for the world.

"I'll leave you to get set up and comfortable" Webber says and I head towards the nurses station, picking up my files. My patients. A body comes up beside me and knocks on the station "so you are the new head of Peds" a male voice says, I look up and see a dark skinned man with glasses "Preston Burke, head of Cardo" he says and I nod flicking my attention back to my files "Andy Tearney" I say closing the folders and taking the first one. I make towards a room, Preston Burke still following me asking me questions that are getting on my nerves.

Before I reach the room I turn around facing him "look, I sure being the head of cardio you are very busy so I won't waste your time" I snap "so please stop wasting mine" and I head into the hospital room alone. Inside is a little girl with French braided black hair and bright green eyes, she reminds me of Snow White "hey there Lucy how are we feeling today?" I ask in a nice fluffy voice that is usually received well with kids, she looks up at me with her big green eyes that break my heart "I'm Dr Tearney, I'll be your new doctor ok?" She nods her head and her parents sit up in their chairs.

I shake their hands quickly before reading off her file "Lucy Walters, age 6, diagnosed with stage 2 Leukaemia at age 5" I close it and place it on the bed moving closer to her before looking over to the parents "we are using targeted therapy to see if that works, we will try that for a few more weeks and then move into chemo. I will also see if she is viable for a bone marrow transplant" her parents look almost relieved. I turn back to their child "we are gonna beat this thing Lucy I promise you" I say and hold out my hand for a high five which I receive, I stand up straight again and head for the door before the mum stops me. "I heard you were better" she says almost out of breath, she takes my hand in hers and gives it a squeeze "thank you" I smile warmly to her "it's my pleasure" I say before going to see my next patient.

I am stopped however by my name being called, I turn and see a group of interns that I guess will be mine for today. I stroll up to then casually, my hands in my pockets "what are your names?" I ask simply and they start introducing themselves. Cristina Yang, Meredith Grey, Izzie Stevens and George O'Malley. None of them look good enough for a career in Peds but I guess we will see.

"Alright guys follow me" I say taking them to the next room, I hand Cristina the chart and ask her to repeat what it says. She glanced at it quickly before she starts "Jackie Graycott age 14 suffering  from stomach pains" I nod my head playing with a pen in my hand "and what are we doing to treat this Doctor O'Malley?" I ask gently. The man runs his hand through his brown hair before answering my question "we are keeping her on pain meds to see if that helps, we will do scans to see if there is anything wrong with her ovaries or her stomach" I hum in agreement before turning to the patient "is that ok Jackie?" I ask and she rolls her eyes texting quickly on her phone "yeah whatever" sighing I usher my students out of the room.

Once out I turn to them "alright who wants to go with me to take a little Lucy Walters for targeted therapy?" I ask and all of their hands shoot up, rubbing my temple I sigh "alright what are the side affects of this?" Whoever answers the question correctly will go with me. They all seem stumped for a few seconds before the tall blonde girl, Dr Grey I think gets it as she blurts out "it can cause skin problems, problems with wounds clotting and high blood pressure" I raise my eyebrow, impressed.

I check my watch "alright..." I trail off not feeling confident I remember her name and she tells me "Izzie Stevens" I start walking towards the double doors at the end of the hall "alright doctor Stevens you are coming with me, meet me by Lucy's room in 20 minutes" and as I walk away I can hear the interns whispering with each other. I smile to myself, remembering a time I was like that. So hopeful.