Chapter 48

It's mine and Alex's first day back in since the wedding and last night he stayed at my place "coffee?" He asks once we arrive at the hospital "I would love some" I say linking our hands and following him to the cart

It's mine and Alex's first day back in since the wedding and last night he stayed at my place "coffee?" He asks once we arrive at the hospital "I would love some" I say linking our hands and following him to the cart. As we wait in line Alex says "I think we need time away" I look up at him, dark circles plague his eyes from little sleep. I have to admit I am not the cause of those, that's just what happens when you choose to be a surgeon. I squeeze his hand in mine "yeah me too" I say with a sigh.

We pick up our coffee and head for the elevator "we had to come back eventually. Can't hide from the drama forever" Alex kisses me forcefully and I melt into his touch "alright love birds break it up" Cristina says pushing in between us and straight into the elevator "good morning to you too Yang" I say following her inside the big metal box.

——-

"You'll be fine" i over hear Izzie giving Meredith a pep talk "just keep the talking to a minimum. Short nuggets of Meredith. That's all anyone really needs. If you get stuck smile" I jump down the last two steps and walk over to the three girls "why are we giving Big Grey a pep talk?" I ask putting my hands in my pockets. Lexie is nervously clutching a chart as she watches the other two speak "Derek's mother is coming into town today" Meredith says sounding less then enthusiastic "isn't that great?" I ask flicking a piece of hair from my eye "you finally get to meet some of Derek's family"

Meredith snorts and shakes her head "nope, i don't really have a great track record with mothers" I want to question that but choose not to. Instead I place a reassuring hand on her should "Meredith you will be fine"

My pager beeps and I say "I'd love to stay and chat but I've got to go" and I race down to the ER. I start to tie my hair back as I burst through the doors "what have we got?" I ask Hunt who is wheeling in two stretchers both with children on it. "Did you page Arizona?" I ask loving forward and he nods "yeah but she said she was busy- that you could handle it both" he says and I curse under my breath.

I push into the first trauma room "what happened?" I ask as I start examining the boy passed out on the table "these two kids thought it would be fun to play with the guns from their fathers cabinet" the paramedic explains grumpily and I shake my head.

I listen to the boys heartbeat "alright page cardio, he needs an X-ray, see if we can pin point the location of the bullet. I assume it's somewhere near his lung but I just need to make sure" and then I rush out and into the next room where the boy is awake and crying "hey, hey it's alright" I soothe "what's your name?" He sniffles and wipes his eyes, looking up at me "Tommy" he says and I smile. Placing gloves on my hands I stand up straight "alright Tommy can you tell me your brothers name?" He nods and I start checking him out "James" he answers me.

"Good, good Tommy. Now I need you to do something for me" I say and he nods his head "can you tell me where you got hurt?" Because I can't see an visible sign of an injury "here" he points at his stomach and I let myself breathe "alright Tommy I'm going to lift your shirt up so I can have a look alright?" He nods and I gently push his shirt up to above his chest. Jesus.