Chapter 22

In the morning I check Viki's vitals which are stable and head out of the room to change into fresh scrubs and have a shower

In the morning I check Viki's vitals which are stable and head out of the room to change into fresh scrubs and have a shower. I yawn as I make my way across the floor, my back hurts from sleeping in that chair but Alex kept true to his world and bought me a blanket so at least I wasn't cold. Footsteps sound behind me and I see an intern coming over "I'm on your service today" she says shyly, I hand her my charts and tell her to do my rounds while I have freshen up.

I head inside the elevator, Alex is in there with other people. Without saying anything I stand next to him, I feel his hand reach for mine and I take it, smiling I look down at our linked hands "who's service are you on today?" I ask casually even though my heart is hammering "Bailey, I was wondering if-" but he is cut off when my pager bleeps, when it stops at the next floor I step off and rush down to the ER.

When I get there, there is a teen girl with her mum sitting next to her. I take her chart from the ER nurse and start to scan in "hey there Casey, what seems to be the problem?" I ask with a cheerful smile on my face, the girl is sitting awkwardly and the mum is typing away on her phone, not paying much attention. There is a slight pause before Casey answers "I um, I have a headache like right here" she points to her head and winces as if it caused her physical pain.

I nod my head "alright, have you had any falls recently?" I see Meredith coming in with an older woman on a gurney, she looks flustered almost annoyed by the woman and I am slightly distracted. "I told her it was nothing. We all get headaches all the time" the mother says finally looking up from her phone, the daughter goes slightly pale at that and I turn back to her "have you had a falls recently?" I ask again and she looks down at the blanket, fiddling with a piece of loose thread "I fell over at basketball practice a couple of weeks ago, I got hit in the head with a basketball" the mum snorts and I clasp my hands on the chart harshly "she had a nasty bruise on the side of her head. That was it. She is just whine dramatic" she glares at her daughter nastily "and wasting my time"

I keep my face neutral and glance back at the chart "alright, it seems as though you have a concussion. I'll get a Neuro consult" the mother rolls her eyes and I page Derek and move away from the bed. I head over to the nurses station and lean against it, "I bought you coffee" a voice says making me jump, I look and see Mark smiling at me with his signature smile. I take the coffee from his hand and start to write in my charts "you are always bringing me coffee, just like..." I trail off and he finishes "New York" I bite my lip and keep my head down on the paper.

Mark moves closer "come on, you miss it. Miss us. I do" I can feel his breath against my neck and I feel myself getting very hot. His hands lightly trace my sides making me shiver, I get flashbacks to many nights in New York. Someone clears their throat and Mark steps away from me, behind us stands Derek "Andy, you paged me for a consult" he says and I nod moving away from the nurses desk and towards my patient. "Casey Ashton, 14 years old with a severe headache. Had a trauma to the head a few weeks ago, that's when the pain started" I tell my best friend handing him the chart, I pay him on the shoulder "I'll be back in a bit"