Chapter 44

About twice a day I try to speak to Alex with little success, he still isn't talking to me after the fight we had and I feel like there is something missing

About twice a day I try to speak to Alex with little success, he still isn't talking to me after the fight we had and I feel like there is something missing. God why is he being so stubborn! Surely we can get past one little argument.... Right? I have a new peds attending that Richard has hired and I am currently giving her the tour.

"And that's it" I say clasping my hands together and smiling at her, she has bright blond hair and is wearing shoes with wheels on them. I'm not sure what to make of her, she seems extremely cheery "wow this is amazing. You're amazing, I'm glad to be working under you" she says brightly and I nod "right well, you have everything you need. Just call me if you have any questions" I say and walk away wanting to find Derek.

I don't find Derek but I do find Mark and I tell him all about my argument with Alex. "Yeah well Karev's an ass" Mark says after I explain everything "I don't know why you are with him anyway" I sigh and sit down lower in my chair "it's just something about him" I explain "something that pulls me on every time I think I'm done, I come running back"

Just then I sit up, realising "where's Derek?" I ask and Mark shrugs absently "apparently he has a secret patient. Him, Yang, Grey and Hunt are on it" I raise my brows "secret patient? Now that's interesting"

I am paged to the pit and rush down there however when I do Arizona is already there "it's alright Tearney I've got this. Don't you have a surgery in 10 minutes?" She says and I am shocked, I haven't had a competent attending in so long I forgot I don't have to do everything anymore "uh yeah" I say slightly cautious "are you sure you for this?" I ask and she nods, flashing me a bright smile again "yeah I've got this" she replies confidently.

I turn around and head back up to the peds floor. On the way up I spot Izzie and make my way over to her "hey Izzie" I say catching her attention, she whirls back to me and when she sees it's me she narrows her eyes "look we don't have anything to say to each other" she spits out nastily, catching me off guard "after what you said to Alex. You should leave him alone, you don't know what he's been through or what I have so you are in no position to judge" my mouth hangs open for a second before I regain myself and fold my arms "I am your boss Stevens you can't talk to me like that" she scoffs and I continue "I just wanted to say happy birthday" and I shove past her angrily.

If there was a way to take back that argument yesterday I would, but I can't and now Alex won't even let me apologise to him. I shake my head and focus my mind, I can't be distracted in the OR and especially not for a first year resident. I scrub in and head into the OR "is everything alright Doctor?" The nurse asks me and I nod, putting my gloves on and stepping towards the knocked out fourteen year old "yeah I'm fine. Scalpel" I hold out my hand.

I head back up to the peds floor and freeze when I see Alex standing with Bailey talking to a patients mum. He looks so carefree and I wonder if he is thinking about our fight at all. If he even cares. He walks away and a few minutes later an alarm goes off and I rush into the room. Doctor Kenley is on the ground, Alex above him trying to assess the situation "oh god" I say rushing forward, "Karev I've got it" I say authoritatively and he moves so I can continue compressions "what happened?" I ask and I hear his voice speak to me for the first time in a week "he just fell over" he tells me and I continue compressions.