Chapter 34

The next day is quite a busy one for the ER and everyone seems to be doing something which gives me a good excuse for avoiding Alex Karev

The next day is quite a busy one for the ER and everyone seems to be doing something which gives me a good excuse for avoiding Alex Karev. Even though he says he only wants me now I can't help but be hesitant, after all he hasn't done much to prove his argument in the past. So for now I am staying far away from him.

For a little break I manage to find an On Call room and slip inside, i am so distracted by my thoughts of Alex that I don't realise that the room is occupied until it is too late. I turn around and see Mark on top of Callie and I instantly shut my eyes "oh sweet Jesus" I curse and I hear someone land on the floor, probably mark. "Andy? What are you doing in here? I thought we locked the door" he says and I shake my head, keeping my eyes firmly shut "nope you did not lock the door"

I fumble for the handle and swing open the door "I'm just gonna go" I say and slip out into the hall. Finally I open my eyes and am faced with the hallway, shivering at what I have just seen I make my way down to the ER where I was just pajed.

——-

"What have we-" I say but trail off as I enter the ER and see the trauma in front of me. When I saw big trauma I imagined a car crash or something, not a teen boy stuck in cement. "So how you wanna handle this?" The fireman asks but we all look around at each other distressed. How are we going to handle this? The boy is crying, he looks from each of us until his eyes land on Bailey who is currently stuttering trying to figure out an answer "help me" he pleads and my stomach drops.

"Tearney, you and Torres go and speak to his friends. We need to know exactly how this happened" Bailey orders and I follow Torres our into the waiting room. Sitting on three chairs are his friends, all dark haired, one girl and two boys. God they just kids. We make our way over and Callie says "hi we need to ask you how this happened, if you wouldn't mind telling us" one of the boys nod and we take that as our cue to sit down opposite them. Callie has a notebook out ready to start writing down anything that might help this poor boy.

"Look we were just joking around" one of the boys say, "yeah it was a dare" the other one adds, they all start laughing like it's one big joke. Callie looks at me before looking back at the teens "you dared.... Him to lay in a vat of cement at a construction site" one of the boys pats his leg, they are all still smiling "we never thought he'd do it. It's Andy. He never does anything. He doesn't have the guts" I raise an eyebrow suddenly very annoyed at these kids. I mean they clearly weren't thinking clearly but Jesus, this is the pinnacle of stupid.

Callie continues and I can tell she is trying hard not to shout at these kids, not that I would blame her, "in the middle of the night. You snuck onto this site and dared your friend...." She is cut off by the girl who has an air of arrogance about her as she says "he's not our friend" with a tone that suggests the whole thing is funny. It isn't. She looks between the guys "I mean the four of us, we're friends. But he's not really our friend" I rub my hand across my forehead, frowning and trying to understand this situation but it all sounds so bazar.

Callie looses herself slightly as she spits out "ok, you dared him to lie down in concrete" correcting herself. The girl looks down for a moment before looking back up with a smirk dancing on her lips "nobody made him do it." She says simply "you're making it sound like we did something wrong" Callie scoffs and writes something down before asking gently "how long?" I swear Callie going from riled to this is more terrifying then her shouting.

"What?" The girl asks, i look at Callie and then the girl clarifying for my friend "how long did your not friend lay in that vat of cement unable to move before you four geniuses, you band of brothers, future mother Teresa's, how long did he lay in that cement yelling that he couldn't move until you called the police?" Callie grabs my wrist and I realise I have sat forward, my expression blazing. "Andy" she whispers in warning but now they all look ashamed of themselves and I sit back "yeah, that's what I thought" I say loud enough for them to hear.

We finally have what we need to Callie and I stand up to walk away "hey Andy" she calls as I am about the walk away from her, I look over to her "about what you saw earlier" I scrunch my nose up at the memory and shake my head "don't worry, I won't tell anyone. Nothing happened" Callie gives me a greatful look and go my own way.

——-

Alex is apparently taking a few personal days to sort some things out at home and I wonder if it's about our talk yesterday but then I shake my head, it can't be, it wasn't an awful conversation. He doesn't have to dodge me for the rest of time. "Tearney get in here we need you" Bailey calls me from where I am checking charts in the ER. Putting down the folders I make my way over and into the trauma room. "I need you to comfort this boy while I figure out how to get him out" she says and I nod holding my chin up in a confident pose. Trying to get the image of Alex out of my head.

"Hey there Andy" I say gently coming into the room while Bailey speaks to the fireman. The boy is crying now and I feel so sorry for him, he just wanted to make friends. "I don't know much yet" I continue "but one thing I do know is that the cement you're encased in is slowly leeching the water from your body, and you're gonna need all the water you can get, so no crying"

Slowly Andy nods his head and tries his best to stop crying with little success. Sighing I place a hand awkwardly on the cold cement "you're a strong young man, I know you can get through this" Andy finally stops crying and I smile "good, good" I encourage. When we finally get him calm I turn to Bailey and say "I've got a surgery" I look back at the boy "I'll be back ok but there is someone else that needs my help right now" there is a panicked look on his face so I steps forward and smile "look Andy, Doctor Bailey is one of the best doctors I know. You are in good hands" he doesn't seem that convinced but I leave him there anyway.

——-

I am trying to eat my lunch on peace when Meredith comes into the cafeteria and sits down opposite me, I raise an eyebrow but she doesn't say anything just bounces her leg nervously. We sit there for a moment in silence before I put my fork down and ask "alright what's up?" She looks over at me, her leg still bouncing "Derek is selling his land" she says and when I don't react she stops bouncing her leg "you know" I nod my head. Taking a sip of my water. "Derek is my best friend of course I knew" I say simply and she frowns "he's selling it because of me isn't he" she asks and I shrug, really wishing I could just go back to eating in peace.

"Meredith" I say with a big sigh "he never told me to reason but I'm sure it has nothing to do with you. These things happen sometimes" she pushes her blonde fringe from her face and bites her lip awkwardly "Rose said it is, that there is a legend about me and Derek. And that intimidate her" I frown then and cock my head to the side "Rose? The nurse?" Meredith nods her head. I roll my eyes, I don't like that woman, I don't know what it is but ever since Derek has started dating her I have had a funny feeling "don't listen to her. Is there a legend about you and Derek? Possibly but only because you two have caused such a riot in the hospital, it's kind of hard not to be invested"

Just then I get payed by Doctor Bailey and so I stand up, there goes my lunch. Before I leave I ask Grey "where is Alex?" She hesitates and that's when I know something is up when she blatantly lies to my face "he is sick" I nod my head, I can't be bothered with this kind of drama right now so I just say "alright, tell him get better soon for me" and I walk off.

A/N: I'm so sorry I haven't updated 😭 I've just had No motivation to write atm