Chapter 27

It's Cristina and Burke's wedding, my parents went home three days ago but before they left my mum told me "don't sleep with either of the men until you decide which one you want in your bed" and that's been playing in my head ever since

It's Cristina and Burke's wedding, my parents went home three days ago but before they left my mum told me "don't sleep with either of the men until you decide which one you want in your bed" and that's been playing in my head ever since. Currently I'm lying in bed staring up at my ceiling and I have a tune in my head I can't think of the song but I hum it out loud. "What are you singing?" Mark asks coming out of my attached bathroom, a towel around his waist. I look over and and admire the way his body glistens worn water from the shower.

I sit up and tuck my legs up to my chest "do you think things would have been different if we had stayed in New York? Do you think we would still be together?" I ask and Mark shrugs coming over and sitting on the edge of the bed. He place a hand on my knee, I lower my legs and he pulls me closer "where is this coming from?" He asks brushing my messy hair from my face, I cover my mouth, stifling a yawn "I'm just curious" I say. Mark moves his head to the side and cups my face "are you ok?" He searches my eyes and I nod plastering a fake smile on my face which he sees straight through.

Mark had known me for so long that he understands what I'm trying to say with my eyes, my facial expressions and he shifts on the bed, wrapping the towel tighter around himself "you think we should break up" my heart plummets when I see the look on his face but still I nod because there is no use lying, I clutch his hand in mine and bring up to my face and I kiss it, not breaking eye contact "I'm in a part of my life that I need to travel through alone. I have a great job and great friends and honestly I don't think I can handle any other commitments in my life" mark nods, both of us tearing up before he suddenly pulls me into a hug.

We start to laugh as we hold each other close "you are still my best friend Andy, no amount of heartbreak will change that" he whispers and I close my eyes taking him in, filling my senses with him, enough to last a life time. Then to ruin the moment I push him off my bed and he lands of the floor with a thud "get dressed" I say and we share a smile.

———

I call my sister while I'm getting ready, the youngest Bella. The baby sister, I'm the middle child and I've always loved it apart from when I see the way my sister looks at the world. "Mama is right, you shouldn't toy two boys along. It isn't like you Andy" she says, I roll my eyes as I curl my hair, my sister is extremely opinionated and doesn't lack in things to say to me when I mess up. She should have been the oldest. As I brush through my hair letting the curles "I know Bells that's why i broke up with Mark" there is a silence for a second as I start on my make up "I'm going to focus on myself, my career" I hear my little sister laughing on the other side of the phone, "you have never been able to focus on just your career and from what I've heard about the men at your hospital, have fun"

I roll my eyes again and pick up my phone "you are infuriating" I say and she laughs, there is some noise in the background "who's that?" I ask shifting on my seat, Bella lives alone as far as I know "oh that's my boyfriend Adam" she says and then giggles at something he says in the background. I smile at the sound of it and place my phone back down "you sound happy" I say continuing to get ready, she laughs again "I am, hey don't you have a wedding?" I nod my head before I realise she can't see me and I mentally face palm "yes I do". We say goodbye to her and I promise to send her pictures.