Chapter 17

It's been a year since I've been at Seattle, I've been staying with my sister helping her adjust to single mother hood

It's been a year since I've been at Seattle, I've been staying with my sister helping her adjust to single mother hood. The plane is about to take off and I close my eyes, I'm a nervous flyer and my thoughts keep going back to how I left things. My mind is slowly focusing on Alex, what is he doing? I feel guilty for pushing him away and one of the reasons I am going back is to see him.

"What are you doing in Seattle?" The old woman sitting next to me asks breaking me from my thoughts "oh I'm going home, I was visiting my sister" she nods her head sending me a knowing smile "you going home to a nice lad?" I laugh shaking my head and adjusting my seat "no, the guy I was kind of seeing. Well things didn't go too well" I don't why I am telling her but I guess there is something comforting about telling a stranger my problems, even if they are first world. The old lady gives me a sympathetic look and pats me on the hand "I'm sure once he sees you are back he will leap at the chance of going out with you" she chuckles to herself as if remembering a good memory "maybe take you dancing" I raise an eye brow "sounds like there is a story there" I say.

Through the whole flight the old woman tells me about her husband Author, from the way she speaks of him I can tell they are really in love which makes me think of when I lived in New York and the love I had there. If I could go back in time I would go back to then. As we get off of the plane I turn to her "if your ever in town again come visit, I work at Seattle Grace" she chuckles and shuffles away "I don't need to go to the hospital dear but I'll keep it in mind"

When I get into the parking lot Derek is waiting for a broad smile on his handsome, friendly face. As I make my way over he says "took your time getting home" we embrace and I sigh at the familiarity of it "I'm sorry, my sister needed me" I whisper he unlocks his car and I climb into the passenger seat, he turns on the engine, he lets me warm up before we pull away. We sit in silence until we reach some traffic and I ask "how is everyone?" Derek changes the gear "you mean how is Alex?" I hesitate but then nod my head because that is what I actually mean.

"He is fine, the same as usual" my best friend answers, there is a little awkward silence and I turn on the radio.

————

Back at Seattle Grace, people are filing in, "are you going to see Richard?" Derek asks when we get out of the car I wrap my jacket around me. "I guess I should, explain why I left for so long" I say and I head inside, my arms linked with him. The hospital is bustling with the usual people and people here for check ups.

I start to climb the stairs up to Richard's office when I bump into someone and almost fall but they catch me by the waist "I'm so sorry" I say looking up and my chest clenches, Alex lets me go and I steady myself "oh" he says almost disappointed "it's you" I frown and pull away "what does that mean" he lets out a heavy breath and carries down the steps "nothing Doctor Tearney. Nothing at all"

I carry on up the stairs and try to ignore the indifference Alex is treating me with. "Oh my god! Andy your back" Izzie says running up and embracing me, I am a little taken aback but hug her too "Jesus Izzie, she didn't die" I hear the familiar sound of Doctor Yang as the rest of them comes over "we are happy your back though" she adds. Stevens let's me go and looks me up and down before sighing "you're ok. You are back and you are ok" I nod my head slightly distracted as I move past them "I'll catch you guys later" I say and disappear into the hall of Doctor Webber's office.