Chapter 21

It's my day off, I am relaxing until I have my date with Karev

It's my day off, I am relaxing until I have my date with Karev. I set the time for 6:30 which is the time he finishes his rotation. I'm flicking through the tv, nothing much is on so I stick on something called Criminal Minds and let that play in the background, as I click my phone on. I have a few emails I need to reply to which I do but then I get a beep on my pager, I'm not even on call but I pick it up anyway. One of my kids have coded.

I rush into the hospital pushing past different people, a blonde I recognise (Izzie) and finally I reach the room. "Time of death, 09:43" the peds attending on call says and I sigh stopping in the doorway, "damn it" I mutter and the doctor gives me a sad look as he walks past he puts a hand on my shoulder "I'll tell the parents" I nod and rub my face with my hands, I hear footsteps and then a voice "I didn't know you were working today" Derek is walking over and I wrap my arms around myself, I feel cold and I forgot my jacket "I'm not, I got paged. We lost a patient" I say and he nods. Sipping on his coffee he raises an eyebrow "I'm sorry" he says and I shrug "it's fine it happens all the time" my voice breaks and I try to keep the tears from surfacing.

"Go home Andy, seriously. Don't be here on your day off" I embrace him kindly and he hugs me tight.

As I making my way down the stairs I hear someone call my name, I see Alex coming up in front of me. "Alex?" I ask as he comes closer, he gives me a concerned look "what are you doing here?" He asks softly and I shrug "I had a patient I needed to see" he looks me deep in the eyes making me feel dizzy, the way he looks at me, like I'm the only person worth looking at. "You're not thinking about cancelling on me are you?" He asks getting all serious, I shake my head and scrunch up my nose, he smiles and starts to go past me "good because otherwise I would have to request to be on your service and bother you until you say yes" I laugh and look back at him as he makes his way up the stairs. When he disappears from view I carry on down them, the opposite way to him.

I have been walking to and from work recently, after my car accident I have been too nervous to get in a car for long period of time. I haven't told anyone and no one has noticed, not that I mind it means I don't have to explain myself to anyone. I plug in my earphones and make my way home, the city is busy and as I walk past people on the street I glance at them, try to figure out their story because everyone has one it just takes some time to figure out. The music is blasting in my ears and I bop my head to the music as I round a corner, this street is pretty quiet so when I go down it I don't have to move out of the way for anyone.

My phone buzzes and I see Ron has send me baby pictures of Ava, she has gotten so big. I text back that I miss them and carry on walking. On the way home I come across a cute little clothing store and decide to go inside, the bell above the door dings as I enter and I'm greeted by a friendly looking woman who is smiling, I smile back and start browsing the store.