Chapter 31

The next day I go into the hospital with a grin on my face

The next day I go into the hospital with a grin on my face. Nothing happened last night after the kiss, I just drove him home and then I went to my own place. "Coffee?" Mark asks offering me a cup, I take it gratefully and take a sip, letting it warm me up "thanks" I say as I press the elevator button, Mark nudges me slightly and I look up at him "so what happened between you and Karev last night" his tone is so teasing I know what he is implying. I frown and hit him in the chest "nothing happened, I took him to his apartment and then I went home" mark hums in amusement as though he doesn't believe me and I shake my head as we step into the elevator.

I reach my floor and start on my rounds, "alright Daisy how are we doing this morning?" I ask cheerily as I look down at the ginger haired 8 year old who is currently looking up at me. "She's good" her mum says, "she hasn't had any pain since yesterday morning" I nod my head and check Daisy's chart to see I'm not missing anything. I run my finger over the words and nod my head muttering to myself before glancing over to her parents "Daisy should be good to go for her surgery this afternoon" and her parents nod.

I let my interns prep her for surgery and go to see my other patients. I get paged downstairs to the ER and I make my way to the elevator and message Ronny, checking in on Ava, she is apparently good. Teething now which is great and when I step onto the elevator I see Alex. We are the only two people in it and he stops forward so he is behind me, I can feel his presence behind me and my face flushes "did you get paged to the ER?" He asks, his voice low and seductive. I shiver and lean slightly in to him "yeah, mass accident" I say tucking my phone back in my pocket.

I let my hand drip and Alex gently takes it in his, we stand in silence like this, him standing behind me and our hands interlaced. I find a kind of peace in this which I need as when we reach the ER there are people everywhere. "What happened?" I ask chief Webber as I enter the ER, the older man looks slight out flushed "school shooting" he says and my heart clenches. Fuck.

School shooting means that a lot of kids are going to need medical attention. Why do people feel the need to do this? These are kids for Christ sake. "Alright Karev just go where you are needed" I order, my voice cold and authoritative, Alex nods his head and disappears into the crowd. "Andy, can you help us?" Callie calls me into a trauma room and I head inside.

On the table is a fourteen year old boy who seems to be distressed "male, fourteen, bad fracture to his left collar bone and a bullet wound through the chest, went straight through doesn't seem to have hit anything major" Callie briefs me and I start to listen to his breathing, it is a little ragged which I'm not surprised at as the bullet went through his chest "alright" I say standing up straight "patch his collarbone and send him up to CT, I'll want to see his scans when he comes back" and he is rushed out.

I don't even get to leave the room as another patient comes in, this time it's a girl who looks to be a senior "alright what have we got?" I ask as we set to work.

——-

We ended up having to push back Daisy's surgery to tomorrow but the parents were understanding. I told them the situation after things had calmed down in the ER, "we totally get it" her father says "those other children needed saving first" I am grateful they are understanding because it makes my job a lot easier.

That was almost 7 hours ago and now I am beginning to crash. I run my eyes tiredly and head for an on call room "Doctor Tearney" an intern says rushing over to me "go find someone else, I'm busy" I say grumpily, the intern goes pale and rushes off again. Finally I reach an on call room and flop down on the bed, a few minutes later the door opens and Alex comes in "I've been looking for you everywhere" he says coming over to me.

"I've been here" I answer sitting up and laying my legs across his lap, "are you ok?" He asks gently stroke his hands up and down my legs , I nod my head and lay back down my eyes incredibly heavy. "I'm fine, school shootings really take it out of a person" I say and I can feel his steady gaze on me as he asks "does it happen often?" I know this has hit him just as hard.

I take his hands in my own and pull him down so he is lying above me "even once is too much" I say gently "I wish this sort of thing never happened" he kisses my hands and we lay there for a few moments in silence. I am running my fingers through his hair softly, feeling comfort in the movement we are listening to each other's heartbeats, ignoring the noises outside of the wooden door.

"I don't think I could ever have children" I admit to him breaking the peaceful silence. Alex brings his head up from where he was resting on my chest "why not? Because of what happened today?" He asks seemingly curious, I shrug and drop my hand from his hair . I nod my head and stifle a yawn "could you blame me? I shouldn't be scared to send my kids off to school everyday. School is supposed to be a haven from the horrors of home not the other way around" He seems to agree with me as he pulls my mouth to his for a quick kiss before he lays back down and like that we fall asleep.