Chapter 26

I wake up to Mark climbing out of bed, he moved in the day of his patients face reveal

I wake up to Mark climbing out of bed, he moved in the day of his patients face reveal. I mean not totally moved in, he still has his own place he just spends all his time at mine, most of his stuff is here too. He notices that I am awake and falls back on the bed "I was trying not to wake you" he says smiling, he ticks a piece of my hair behind my ear "hmph" I say as I lean up to kiss him. We kiss and Mark checks the time "I've got to go, big surgery first thing" he kisses me again "I'll see you at work" I nod my head and watch as he leaves the bedroom. A few minutes later I hear the door shut and I turn for my phone. I have texts from Callie, Addison and Meredith but one catches my eye and it's from Alex and it was sent this morning.

'Fancy getting breakfast before work? - A'

Smiling like an idiot at the idea of going to lunch with Alex Karev I text back an address for a cafe. The cafe where we first properly spoke. Where we acted as a couple to get rid of a psycho one night stand, oh the memories.

I take my time getting up as I don't have to be at the hospital until tomorrow even though I am on call. The luck of being a surgeon one might say. I curl my hair and get changed into a casual outfit before grabbing my keys and heading out. I reply to my other messages as I head for my car, Mark has helped me regain confidence to drive although I am still really nervous about it.

I unlock my car just before I hear a car horn which makes me jump, I look over to the other side of the road and see Alex sitting in a car and waving at me. Smiling again I rush over and climb in the passenger side "you came to pick me up" I say giving him a soft look, Alex shrugs and pulls away "I know you hate driving, after your car crash I don't blame you. Thought I would pick you up today" I try to keep from smiling too much but this man is just under my skin. On the way to the cafe Alex puts on the radio and we start to sing our hearts out and I have never felt more free. There is slight traffic but that doesn't damped our mood, in fact it seems to boost it as Alex turns the music up louder and our voices get louder with it.

By the time we get to the cafe my throat is sore and I am grateful for the coffee I am about to. I move to open my door but Alex comes over and opens it "for the lady" he says and I fake curtsey a smile playing on my lips "why thank you kind sir" I step over onto the sidewalk before heading for the cafe with Alex behind me. Inside we take a seat near the window after ordering our food, I wrap my hands around my coffee and let the warmth seep into my hands.

"I have a question" Alex says and I raise my eyebrows, bringing my cup to my lips letting him continue "why didn't you apply for chief?" This wasn't the question I was expecting but I like that he asked it. I shrug, the woman comes over with our food I say thanks and then turn back to Alex "I don't know, I guess the idea of doing paperwork instead of surgery never really appealed to me. I guess I would rather do what I love rather then run it. Plus my father was head of surgery for a while when we were in Spain, he was so stressed it's unreal"