Chapter 57

"Is he here yet?" I ask Arizona as me, her and Mark walk down a hallway of the hospital ay full speed "if you are talking about Calliope's dad then the answer is I don't know because I'm not meeting him because we just started dating and it's way ...

"Is he here yet?" I ask Arizona as me, her and Mark walk down a hallway of the hospital ay full speed "if you are talking about Calliope's dad then the answer is I don't know because I'm not meeting him because we just started dating and it's way too soon." Mark gives the blonde a confused look as we stop at a nurses station "and Torres is ok with that?" He asks, he leans on the desk while Arizona takes a clip board from a nurse and I stand with my hands in my pockets "yeah, I mean it was her idea. The man's here for one day, then he's gone. No muss, no fuss." Although knowing Arizona she is feeling slightly hurt about it, I won't push, I can't afford to fall into anyone else's drama right now.

The elevators ding and out comes Callie, a bored expression on her face and a man, a little taller then she is with barely any hair left on the top of his head follies her out, looking at her expectantly. So that's Callie's father, not what I would picture but I can see the resemblance. Just then George rounds the corner and she says something I can't quite here, it looks like a warning but it's too late because Callie's father rounds the corner and spots George.

He leaps forward, grabs O'Malley by the scruff of his white coat and pins him against the wall violently "dad!" Callie calls but he ignores her, grabbing George by chin. "Give me one reason I shouldn't kill you right now" he says to the younger man, Arizona, Mark and I all step forward and I have half a mind to call security but for some reason I hold off "you committed adulatory" he continues and Callie let's put a little noise.

"I slept with him" she says in a desperate attempt to save George and points at Mark "before we were divorced so George isn't the only one who cheated." There is a pause for a moment where no one moves and then Mr Torres pushes George away and in one movement has Mark in his place "give me one good reason I shouldn't kill you right now" he repeats his earlier demand and in true Mark fashion he says "Mark Sloan. Pleasure to meet you."

Mark starts going red and Callie speaks up again "Mark's just a friend. I'm happy, now ok? I'm dating someone now and I'm happy, ok?" This seems to please her father as he finally lets Mark go and he gasps for breath, I cover my mouth to keep from laughing at this ridiculous scene and he moves on. Mr Torres turns around to us and says "you're dating again. That's good, that's healthy. I'd like to meet this new gentleman suitor." And it clicks in my head why she didn't want Arizona to meet her father, he is religious, hence the word adulatory and his reaction to it. He would murder Arizona if he ever found out his daughter was dating a woman.

I get paged before Callie has time to answer and I send up a silent thank you to whatever god is watching me right now that I can escape this awkwardness.

Later in the day I get a page to oncology and head to Izzie's room "you paged" I say taking in the sight of probably 20 wedding dresses in her room, the blonde looks up from her bed with a massive grin on her face "Meredith is trying on wedding dresses" she says and I grin "she said yes?" I ask and Izzie nods. I sit down on the side of her bed and a voice comes from the bathroom, it's Meredith "if I show you the dress, you can never tell anyone because it's bad" she says.

Izzie chuckles for a moment before calling back "ok fine. It'll be our little secret" she turns and winks at me. I roll my eyes and smile at her, for a cancer patient she is surprisingly upbeat. Then the door opens and Meredith comes out begrudgingly in a puffy white dress that actually looks amazing on her although she doesn't see it. I whistle and Izzie sighs "wow" she takes out her phone and snaps a few pictures, "photos are not secret!" Meredith says angrily but Izzie ignores her by asking "isn't there a tiara that goes with it?"

She finds it and hands it out to her friend "put it on so I can get the full effect" Meredith narrows her eyes at Izzie "no tiara" she insists "I told you simple. You know buffalo wings that the reception." Izzie frowns not looking at all please "you can't" she says "caterers don't even do buffalo wings." Meredith gives her a pointed look "Iz, this is a small wedding. Small. And this is a big dress for a big wedding" she signals her outfit "don't you have a dress in your pile that doesn't make noise when it moves or stand up all by itself?" She asks.

My pager goes off and I stand up "I've got to love and leave you but the dress looks gorgeous Meredith" I say before making a swift exit.

Lexie comes to a me asking if I can talk to Derek and Mark, they are going into a long surgery together and are still not talking to one another. So as we round the corner into the scrub room I say "ok before you guys go in there and start cutting on this patient, you need to apologise to each other. If not for the patient, for me. Or for Lexie. Look at her" I turn to Little Grey who is currently shoving a chocolate brownie from the cafeteria into her mouth.

"Her face is breaking out. Her ass is humongous" I continue and Mark looks over at me with a confused look in his eyes, "it's true" Lexie says "I had to get the scrubs with the elastic waistband." Neither of the two men say anything and turn back to the sink "if you don't apologise, she's not scrubbing in." I say hoping this will get through to them. Lexie nods her head, holding up another piece of brownie "I won't. You can't make me. This should be a joyful time. You're best friend is getting married. You should be the best man."

This doesn't seem to please Derek as he turns to us and says "the chief will be my best man." I raise my eyebrows and stare at my best friend "what?" I ask but he doesn't elaborate. Mark finishes scrubbing and heads for the door into the OR. I didn't realise that Meredith was standing behind Lexie and I until she says "the Chief?" And I whisper to Lexie we should probably give them some privacy.

"Sorry I couldn't help that much" I say to the intern as we head down the hall "it's no worries" Lexie says "I didnt think it would actually work, they are both so stubborn" I chuckle and run a hand through my hair "you have that right honestly I don't know how you and Meredith do it." I joke and Lexie turns to me. Her brown eyes large and round, she looks like a Disney Princess "what about you and Alex? Aren't you a thing anymore?" I shrug and let out a low breath "honestly I have no idea, he always seems to put someone above me. Especially Izzie, I love her but sometimes I wander if I am better off not being anywhere near either of them." I speak about this issue openly for the first time since it's happened and I feel a little weight lift off of my chest.

At the end of my shift I see Mark "hey Mark, wanna go to Joe's?" I ask and he nods grabbing his coat from his locker "sure, why not" I smile and we head across the street.

The bar is quite busy so I say to Mark "find a table, I'll get the first round" he nods and I head over to the bar "vodka and coke and a whiskey please Joe" I order and he nods. While I wait I turn on my phone and answer a text from my sister, asking if a Ava's sniffly nose is just a cold or if it could be something else. I love my sister but I don't know why she worries so much, she lives in a family of doctors, if there was something seriously wrong with her daughter she would know. A man comes over to the bar next to me and orders a drink "Andy?" He asks and I look up into familiar blue eyes "Jackson? Oh my god! Hi" I say and he flashes me a smile.

I turn back to the bar and notice Alex out of the corner of my eye walking in next to O'Malley, "so what brings you here tonight?" Jackson asks breaking my train of thought "oh you know, the usual patient stuff" I say and he nods his head and places a few dollar bills on the table "I'll get her's" he says to Joe and he nods placing my drinks down in front of me "it was nice seeing you Jackson" I say smiling softly at him. He nods and goes to say something but changes his mind "you too Andy" and I head over to Mark.