Chapter 51

"Wait you want to propose to Meredith?" I ask almost choking on my coffee as Derek walk down the hall, we meet up with Mark who goes wide eyed at the sight of the ring in our friends hand "what is that?" He asks, Derek shuts the case and places it...

"Wait you want to propose to Meredith?" I ask almost choking on my coffee as Derek walk down the hall, we meet up with Mark who goes wide eyed at the sight of the ring in our friends hand "what is that?" He asks, Derek shuts the case and places it back in his pocket "what you think it is" he answers. "It's dangerous" I say "people who carry guns are likely to fire" Derek smiles down at his hands, Mark raises his brows at me and I shrug "I'm ready to fire it" Derek tells us "she's the problem. She spooks easy. I have to fire at the right time, in the right way or she'll panic and bolt. She's not ready. Think she's ready?"

We turn a corner and Mark answers honestly "I don't know. More importantly, if you don't know you shouldn't do anything" just then Owen comes towards us from the opposite direction "Doctor Sloan" he greets and Mark says his name back and they break off from Derek and I. We push through the doors to the main hall and Derek asks "but seriously, what do I do?" I shrug and place my hands in my pockets "I can't tell you what to do here Derek, it's your relationship not mine. Do what you feel is right but don't make any rush decisions" he nods and I peck him on the cheek "it's a nice ring though" I say before walking away.

I am in the ER filing some paper work when I see Alex go up to a nervous looking couple who quickly dismiss him, I frown and go over "hi is there something I can help with?" I ask and they nod eagerly "we need to talk to a grown up" the man says and I try to keep my face neutral. I fold my arms "my husband..." the woman starts but her husband cuts her off "our children went to collage. One's at Stanford, the other at U-Dub" I'm a little confused but I let them continue anyway "we tried something..... a new thing" the wife tells me "something slipped and we lost..."

"Rachel" the husband warns before turning to us "we were reading this thing in a  magazine...." The wife takes said magazine out of her bag flipping it to a page and letting me read it "twenty techniques to re-ignite your nights" I read out loud and Alex smirks at me, I try not to smile as I look over at the couple. The woman leans forward "we did number nine" she tells me, I read what number nine is and then show Alex who raises his eyebrows in interest. "Uh, let's get you in a gown" I say to the lady but she corrects me "no. He did number nine" my brows raise even more, "we did number nine" he clarifies clearly embarrassed "I'm not the one with it stuck in my.." she starts to argue but cuts herself off "it's him. He's the patient"

Awkwardly I look around and say "well uh, have a seat. We'll..... take care of you" the man pulls a face and says "I'll stand" and Alex snorts, I jab him in the ribs and smile professionally at the couple. As the couple wait I move further away to sort some things out for them and Alex whispers to me "maybe we should try number seventeen" I know which one he is referring to and I smile "if you're lucky" I whisper back.

Mark and I are standing by a nurses station talking about him and Lexie when Derek comes over at full speed "she said a thing about babies" he tells us "like babies was a totally ordinary idea. She's not afraid. She's ready" I let out a breath and Mark looks deep into his friends eyes "when are you going to do it?" He asks seriously Webber comes over, hands on his hips "do what?" He asks inserting himself into the conversation "shepherd's proposing" I say with a playful smile on my lips.

Derek shoots me a look of betrayal as Richard says "no kidding! Outstanding!" With a smile wide on his face "thank you" Derek says with lack of enthusiasm, "how you gonna do it?" The older man asks. Mark and I share an amused look "I don't know" Derek says "just decided"

Owen comes over then looking at a file in his hands "shepherd's proposing" Mark tells the head of trauma "congratulations" he says "big step" Derek nods and eyes Mark and I evilly "thanks. Telling everybody?" Mark gently pushes Derek's arm "you need advice" he explains "Hunt, you ever proposed?"

He gets caught off guard and shakes his head "I'm not the guy to ask. When you gonna do it?" He moves the conversation on swiftly "more importantly how are you doing to do it?" I ask leaning against the desk. Mark seems distracted, looking away from all of us he clears his throat "so what do you use, a twist-drill?" He asks and I giggle "what?"

Then I notice Meredith walking towards us casually, Derek sees her too and catches on "not if you don't want a partial-parietal hematoma" he says and we all start laughing making her pause before coming over with a frown on her face.

"Hi" she says as she walks past and I give her a friendly wave "just don't tell anybody else, ok?" Derek says once she is gone "I thought I could trust you two" I shrug innocently and as he walks away Mark says "of course you can trust me"

I head back to the ER where I see Karev telling the interns off for laughing "what's so funny?" I ask folding my arms "sorry ma'am" the skinny one says and Alex sighs "these idiots were screwing around, and I kind of got..... sucked into it" and they all start laughing including my boyfriend. I give them all a stern look "enough" I say "if you children need a lesson in professionalism then come and see how it's done" I take the scans from the interns and head over to the patient.

"Mr Kramer" I greet calmly "your biplane abdominal radiographs show a foreign body. We'll perform a sigmoidoscopy and proceed with manual extractions he looks up at me from where he is lying on the bed "you'll get it out?" He asks and I nod my head professionally "we'll get it out" I confirm. As me and the interns walk away Alex's hand rests gently on my elbow "what are you doing later?" He asks and I smirk "working, you are too remember" he nods and leans in "meet me in an on call room at 7?" I check the time, it's only 2:30. I nod my head "sure"

At lunch I sit with Alex and his friends "personally I'm a fan of five" Meredith's blond friend says holding up the magazine of mine and Alex's patient. Our hands are intertwined under the table and his thumb caresses circles on my palm making me shiver, I lean over and kiss him gently on the lips. We all laugh at something funny the intern says and Meredith says "I would try 15" Izzie pulls a face and rubs the back of her neck "don't try 15" it suddenly gets very quiet so she adds "i would try 16. Yeah. I've never done that before"

"Don't do 16 fast" Lexie says "you can get hurt, badly. I've heard" she feels embarrassed after saying that and leaves the table "wanna go try 17?" Alex  whispers, I smile and lean into him "it isn't 7 though" I say back and he squeezes my hand. We make a quick exit after that.

"hey" he says kissing me hard on the lips when we reach an on call room, my hands trail up his sides and underneath his shirt "hey" I mutter after we finally part and his kisses trail down my neck "I can't remember the last time we-" I start but he places a hand on my mouth cutting me off "shut up" he mutters and his lips go lower on my body.