Chapter 7

"What do you want Yang?" I ask as I walk away from the ICU checking on a patient "I was wondering if I could scrub in on your bowl resection later?" I stop, she stops as well

"What do you want Yang?" I ask as I walk away from the ICU checking on a patient "I was wondering if I could scrub in on your bowl resection later?" I stop, she stops as well. Like a lost puppy "I'm not having any interns with me today Yang" I tell her tucking my hands into the pockets of my lab coat, she opens her mouth to say something but I stop her "end of discussion" I make my way into the attending's lounge, Derek is the only one in there and I can finally say what I have wanted to say all day.

As I walk past him I hit him up the back of the head "hey!" He says placing his hand there and looking at me "what was that for?" He asks and I fold my eyes, raising my eyebrows "you are sleeping with an intern?" I move and hit him again "stupid" he swats me away and I sit down. "It's not like that Andy" he says and I raise my eyebrow again and he sighs "alright it might be like that" he stands up and follows me over to the counter where I start to make myself coffee "but I really like her" I snort and ignore the smirk he is giving me, "what are we? Five?" I ask and he pushes me jokingly.

"Ok but seriously? What are you thinking? You're technically one of her bosses, isn't it weird?" I ask and he shrugs folding his arms "not really, I mean I met her before we started working together" he tells me and I nod. I am about to leave when he cuts me short "wait, what about you and that male intern? The one with the dark hair?" I frown "who? Karev?" He nods a smirk on his face and I suddenly know what he is getting at. My eyes go wide and I start to rapidly shake my head "heavens no" Derek tries not laugh as he asks "why do I keep seeing you leave and appear here together" I roll my eyes "I gave him a ride twice, trust me there isn't anything between us" he can't hold it in this time he just laughs "yeah ok Andy whatever you say"

"Annie Connors is a 43- year old woman who presented last night with progressive shortness of breath for three months" I hear Karev say as I slip into the patients room and stand at the back wall. "Found to have a very large tumour- " he continues as I lean over to grab the chart from Burke who hands it to me with a quick smile "- of unknown origin pressed against her diaphragm. Stable vital signs. Scheduled for CT this morning sir" Burke nods and pushes his glasses further up his nose "thank you Doctor Karev" he then turns to the patient "are you claustrophobic at all?"

The woman scoffs and gives him a look "I've been house bound for the last year, how claustrophobic could I be?" I try to hide my laugh with a cough accidentally drawing attention to myself "Annie, this is Doctor Tearney, she is a tumour specialist she will be over seeing your surgery" Bailey introduces and I wave to her comfortingly. Doctor Burke clenches his jaw and says "alright, Doctor Stevens is going to take you up to CT" and I make my way out of the room.

Bailey catches up to me "you know you don't have to be in the surgery we've got it covered" I shake my head "it's fine, I want to see how your interns work anyway" and with that I saunter down the call getting ready to scrub in on my bowl resection.

——-

"Have you ever seen Alex like that?" I hear Izzie ask as I walk past, his name makes me stop "what about Alex?" I ask and the interns seem surprised I'm asking. "He seemed so sincere with that patient" the blonde tells me and it makes me wonder why she is puzzled, he always comes across sincere to me. "Seemed being the operative word" The other blonde says we are all standing in a circle now "he was on call last night when she came in" Cristina tells us simply, one of her arms stretched so she is leaning on the nurses station. She shakes her head and stands up turning around "I am never leaving this place again" then doctor Bailey comes out with Burke "let's move people" she says "Ms Connor's surgery, should we choose to proceed" she starts walking and the interns walk behind us.

"Will take most is not all of the surgeons of the floor. Which means you people will have to work extra hard not to kill anyone" she says I break off from the group to go and check on the CT. As I'm climbing the stairs I bump into someone "oh my!" I say helping to steady them "I'm so sorry" it's a young looking woman and she gives me a flashing smile "it's no worries" she squeezes my arm and carries on down the stairs while I carry on up.

As I reach CT and I hear Alex say "seriously, I don't know how she lives with herself" and I pray to god he isn't talking about the patient, I hope he isn't that disrespectful but when I reach the door I sigh "Karev" I call "a second please" he nods and follows me into the hall. I fold my arms, even though he is only slightly taller then me I still look up to him as I ask "were you talking about the patient just now?" He suddenly does slightly pale "no" I give him a look "you better not be lying to me Karev or you will be doing Scut for a week" he shakes his head and throws up his hands "I'm not lying get off my ass already" and he turns but before he can move I grab the cuff of his sleeve and step towards him "trust me Karev if me if I was on your ass you would know"