Chapter 13

It's raining when I come into work today but I am in a surprisingly good mood

It's raining when I come into work today but I am in a surprisingly good mood. Well surprising for others not for me, I love the rain, its part of the reason I moved to Seattle in the first place. Derek and I are walking together when he suddenly stops and I understand what he is doing, I shake my head and click my tongue "you sir, are asking for a death sentence" he shrugs and smiles innocently like he is planning on waiting for Meredith (who dumped him last night) like some lost puppy.

Alex meets me at the elevator and he hands me a coffee "what's this for?" I ask and he scratches the back of his head "nothing, why does to there have to be something?" I shrug and take the coffee anyway "I don't know, you are never this nice" he scoffs and we walk into the big metal box "I am nice, you just don't want to see it because you'll end up actually liking me". His confidence has grown, I have to give him that and I have seen him do some nice things but it doesn't out way the bad. "Sure Karev, sure" I say and exit at my floor.

——-

There is a accident coming in to trauma and I am out with Bailey and the interns waiting for the ambulance to arrive, when it does Izzie opens the doors and the paramedic starts talking, telling us the situation "Male, 55, victim of a head-on collision. GCS is three. Depressed skull fracture" we all start towards him ready get him inside, "multiple internal injuries. ACLS protocol started, but his veins blew. We've pushed meds down the tube. PEA on arrival" I let out a breath and step back for the interns to step in and learn.

"How long has he been down?" Bailey asks and as there paramedic continues with CPR he tells us "we've been doing CPR for 20 minutes, it took Fire 20 minutes to get him out. He is pretty much gone" Bailey looks determined and says "he's not gone until we say he's gone. O'Malley get him into a bay and save him" he looks hesitant and comments "but he's dead" before Miranda can bite his head off I say "did you not hear her? Go" and the brown haired boy disappears with the bed.

Another ambulance comes in and I order Stevens and Yang over there. "We've got three more victims from the other car coming in" a driver warns me. The next ambulance comes in and I open the doors "Male, 46, unrestrained driver of the car that jumped lanes" the paramedic says "BP 80 over palp. Tachycardic. Last pulse 1:36. Got to litres LR running wide open. Abdominal tenderness" we start rushing him inside while the interns are checking him out. And I'm checking out Karev. I mean no that would be unprofessional of me.

"Any history?" I ask as we push through the doors and into the hospital "wife said he's got a bad live. He's on the transplant list" I start pressing his stomach, that news was not something I wanted to hear but what I have found is even worse "abdomen's ridged. Hands off!" I start moving my hand in the air thinking of what to do "we need to page Burke and Domner. Who wants it?" They all start saying I do and they raise their hands like they are still in school.

"Too late" I tell them "Stevens, take it" the blonde girl smiles "yes" and I glare at her making her shut up, I need to make these people realise this isn't a game. This is life or death, not for us but for our patients. "Yang, you take the mum and Karev you take the boy and come with me" I order as Bailey helps wheel the others inside. Alex winks at me before heading for the boy "I like it when you boss me around" I smile and shake my head before heading for a trauma room.