Chapter 42

I get in to the hospital for my late shift and get myself some coffee from the cart "evening doctor Tearney" a resident I have never seen before says as they walk past me "evening" I say in reply unsure at the why they are speaking to me

I get in to the hospital for my late shift and get myself some coffee from the cart "evening doctor Tearney" a resident I have never seen before says as they walk past me "evening" I say in reply unsure at the why they are speaking to me. "It's solo surgery day" an attending infront of me tells. "That makes sense" I say flashing him a smile. Residents are always nice to the attending's do that they can get a solo surgery from the chief, every year it happens and every year it is hilarious.

I take my coffee and head upstairs to Tiana's room "Doctor Tearney!" She greets cheerfully and I place my coffee on the bedside table for her "how was the first round of chemotherapy?" I ask picking up her chart. The girl puts her phone down and looks up at me avidly "good, I forgot what it was like taking at but I'm upset I'm off the medicine"

I frown at turn my attention to her "Tiana you are aware of the effects it was having on your body, it was doing more harm then good" I tell her gently and she sighs "I know Doctor T but it was my one hope for finally getting out"

I place her chart back down "I know sucks" i tell her "not being able to go to dances and things at school but this is giving you the chance at an adulthood" the last time I saw her before moving to Seattle she was talking about collage. "Have you thought of a collage yet? Or a major?" I want to distract her from the the miserable situation she is currently in. At the sound of collage her face lights up and she answers "I want to be a doctor, like you. I want to help people" I smile at her and push the coffee towards her "sshhh don't tell your mum" I wink and she giggles.

——

"Looking for something?" I ask spotting three interns at the surgical board, I am just wheeling one of my patients on to an empty OR. Lexie turns around along with Meredith's friend from collage and another one.

"We we're giving Sadie the tour" Little Grey explains "this is OR board" she acts it out and they come walking over "and this is a patient. You are in good hands. Doctor Tearney is a great doctor" I fold my arms and narrow my eyes. She's acting weird and Lexie only acts weird when is doing something she isn't supposed to.

"What's next on the tour?" I ask innocently and this throws her off "back to skills lab" the male intern says saving his friend. "Yes the skills lab" Lexie says as though it was on the tip of her tongue and they hurry away.

As I am scrubbing in Cristina appears by the door "what do you want Yang?" I ask and she looks into the OR longingly. She opens her mouth and closes it again "spit it out" I add and she says "is there anything I can help with? Run some labs? Anything?"

I stop scrubbing and turn to face her, raising an eyebrow "no thanks Yang I'm alright" I turn away but then have a brilliant idea. I try to keep a straight face and say "the boy in room 183 could really use your help. I'd love it if you could go and assist up there while I'm surgery" Cristina seems hesitant so I add "I'll make sure to put in a good word with Chief Webber" and she straight out of the door.

That was too easy.

———-

"You need to help me" Derek says as I walk down the corridor "with what?" I ask nicely. He shrugs, putting his hands in his pockets "keeping Little Grey away from Sloan" I almost choke on my water.

"What?" I ask wiping my mouth, staring at him in disbelief "Lexie and Mark? No no way she isn't his type" Derek raises his eyebrows at me and I roll my eyes "you know what I mean"

Derek sighs and opens the door for me to walk through before following behind me "well it hasn't happened yet. That we know of but we want to keep it from happening" I mean I can see why. Mark and Lexie are polar opposites and he would break her. I wouldn't wish that man on anyone, even if he is my friend. "Sure although it won't be an easy task" I say pressing the button for the elevator.

"Well nothing with Mark ever is"

I snort "you've got that right"

——

That morning when Alex and I are lying in bed, I run a hand across his chest "how was your day?" I ask gently and he rubs circles on my back. "It was full of crap" he says and I look up at him, he laughs and I crack a smile "seriously, I had to do that awful thing with crap to get the healthy bacteria into somebody"I start laughing and Alex pulls me closer "hey it's not funny"

"It kind of is" I say looking up and kissing him "how was yours?" He asks and I sigh. I lay my head on his chest and am about to answer when his phone starts to ring and he reaches over and grabs it.

"It's Izzie, I've got to go" he says sitting up and swinging his legs over the side of the bed. "Right" I mutter and turn over. I feel the bed dip as he leans over and kisses my cheek "I love you" he says and I huff an I love you back.