Chapter 30

It's time for the surgery and I am currently in Asher's room along with Alex trying to soothe the parents down

It's time for the surgery and I am currently in Asher's room along with Alex trying to soothe the parents down. "I can't believe he has a tumour we didn't know" his mother says and I place a reassuring hand on her arm, I see Alex shifting uncomfortably at all of the emotion "we need to get him prepped for surgery" I say watching the other interns start to prep him "I promise we will update you every step of the way" his mum nods and I signal the others to start to wheel Asher out.

I turn to Alex "did you practice the procedure like I asked?" I ask as we head towards the OR floor, he nods, holding a door open for me "yep, spent the whole night practicing" he says. I frown and head for the scrub room "you did sleep though? I can have you half asleep in my OR Karev" he pales slightly. Alex starts shaking his head as we start to scrub "No ma'am, I'm perfectly rested ready to start" I smile at how much he wants to impress me. I finish scrubbing and grab a mask "Alex, I'm joking. I know you don't want to mess this up" I say and we share a cute moment of looking into each other's eye before I enter the OR.

I look up at the watching area, I see Meredith, Izzie, Cristina, George, Callie, Derek and Chief Webber. My mouth goes dry when I see him but then I focus on the boy below me. He hasn't gone under yet and he looks slightly worried "hey Asher, how are we feeling?" I ask aloft as I smile down at him, "not good Doctor Tearney. Brain surgery is scary" he admits and I shake my head, still smiling I pat him on the arm "it's alright, you are going to go to sleep for a bit and then you'll wake up with your mum and dad there alright bud?" He nods slowly and he starts to go under.

Just as I am about to cut into this boys head the door to the OR bursts open and in comes Doctor Franco holding a mask up to his face "Doctor Tearney what the hell are you doing?" He asks his eyes furious, "I am about to cut into a boys head Doctor Franco, now will you tell me why you are yelling?" I reply calmly and start the procedure. Franco steps forward "I told you this tumour was inoperable, I told you to pack and send them on their way" this time it's my turn to get angry.

"Take the tools Karev and keep them steady, don't do anything" I say quietly and I hand my tools off to him before looking over to the other doctor "I called you on a consult on my patient. My say on his care is final and I say I can remove this tumour. The only reason you are in here right now shouting at me is because I am a woman and you think I will just lay down and roll over like a dog but guess what Doctor Franco. I'm not a dog, I am a surgeon and a more capable one then you so get out of my OR" I take a breath "now"

I know the others up in the viewing box can hear this including Chief Webber but I don't care. This man has gotten on my last nerve, with a huff Franco storms out and everyone claps me except Alex who is still holding the equipment but he is looking at me with an impressed look on his face "thank you, thank you" I say smiling behind my mask as I take the surgery back from the intern "let's finish this shall we?"

———

The surgery was successful and I get lots of well fines and claps from other surgeons. My smile is so wide I'm sure it will start hurting soon, Chief Webber comes to greet me with a stern look on his face. My stomach drops and suddenly I'm nervous about what his reaction will be, especially since the confrontation with Franco. "Chief Webber" I say suddenly aware of how close Alex is standing to me as we both get praised for the surgery, my boss folds his arms and looks down at me "well done Andy. You did good" I let out a breath and sag slightly "thank you sir" I say my smile reappearing.

"It was risky and could have gone very bad but it didn't. You are the type of surgeon everyone else should aspire to be" Webber says and I smile a little wider. I watch as Webber walks down the hall and as soon as it is empty I turn to Alex and throw my arms around him "you are a genius Karev" I say as we embrace each other. I am up on my tip toes and Alex is holding me close, we stay like this for a few more moments before I clear my throat and step away. "I want all of his post-op paper work done and given to me before I leave tonight" I order before heading down to see my other patients.

Walking to the peds floor I am buzzing with excitement and happiness that it worked, Alex has gone to inform the family of his condition. Alex.
Alex Karev, the one everyone bet on not lasting in the program managed to have a miraculous break through that saved a little kids life. As I make my way through the hospital Derek catches up to me "that was incredible Andy" he says when he reaches me, I flash him a grateful look "thank you Derek although I couldn't have done without Karev, he's the one that showed me the technique. I never would have thought of using it if it wasn't for him" I say and blush slightly as I realise I am giving an resident praise.

"We should go out tonight to celebrate. Me, you, Meredith, Mark and Alex" Derek says and I nod agreeing instantly "that sounds great" I say putting my hands in my pockets "meet at Joe's later?" I ask and he nods before walking away.

————-

Later that night we are at Joe's, Mark is up at the bar buying the first round. "So" I say leaning on the table with my elbows "how's things going with you two?" I ask gesturing between Meredith and Derek. Meredith looks slightly awkward and Derek gives me a look which says 'I know what your doing' but he throws an arm around his girlfriends shoulder and says "good, things are good" Meredith nods in a agreement and Mark comes back with our drinks.

I take mine and take a swig of it before placing it on the table. I am sitting between Mark and Alex, the smell of aftershave is so strong you could choke on it. There is a bowl of potato chips in the middle of the table and Alex goes to take a handful before Meredith swats his hand away and takes some herself. We talk about everything and nothing at the same time for hours. Meredith tells us about her little half sister Lexie who is one of Cristina's interns and who keeps trying to form a relationship with Meredith and in true Meredith Grey fashion she doesn't want anything to do with her.

It's so nice to let my hair down for a while, to relax and celebrate achievements with friends. By 11 pm Meredith and Derek are leaving and Mark is chatting up some woman at the bar, "wanna go?" Alex asks and I nod. I am driving him home tonight so I haven't drunk a lot "yeah sure" I say collecting my purse and heading out.

The night is cold but it's a nice contrast from the heat in the bar. Before we reach my car Alex stops me and I look up at him, his face is gentle, looking down at me with comfort like looking at me is the only thing he wants to do forever. We stand there looking at each other for a few minutes before finally Alex says "I want to kiss you right now" his voice low, my heart picks up and I swallow hard "so do it" I say stepping forward, keeping eye contact.

"But don't do it because you can or because you think it will feel nice. Do it because you want to kiss me and no one else" I say, a few seconds pass where nothing happens but then Alex tips my chin up and he leans and he whispers "I don't want anyone else" before our lips connect.

It's life a breath of air you didn't know you needed until you realise you have spent half your life drowning. It's different then the first time we kissed, there are different feelings behind it now and I know this has changed our relationship forever. There is no going back from this and honestly I don't want to. As we continue to make out Alex wraps his arms around me and pulls me against him tightly, my arms are around his neck, my fingers in his hair. Slowly we pull apart gasping for actual breath and he rest our foreheads together.

Alex starts to smile and I can't help it, I do to "that was very different" he says and I nod biting my lip slightly. We go in for another kiss but this one doesn't last as long because we know there will be more but damn it if I'm not obsessed with this feeling. 

A/N: I've been waiting forever to write this chapter and it actually works so well! Who is your favourite relationship (platonic or romantic) in my story?