Chapter 15

I open my eyes to bright light and I squint, my head is pounding and when I look around the room I see Alex, Meredith, Derek and George

I open my eyes to bright light and I squint, my head is pounding and when I look around the room I see Alex, Meredith, Derek and George. My mind is a little foggy "good morning sleepy head" Derek says from beside me, I turn face him and groan but everything will be fine. "Did someone" I say my voice rasping from no talking "tell my sister I can't make it to her baby shower?" They all smile like I've said something funny but I am being serious. Someone appears in the doorway "well you just has brain surgery I'm sure they'll forgive you" Alex says from his post at the window.

I look over to Derek "what does he mean brain surgery?" I ask and he wipes his mouth nervously "you had a slight brain bleed but we managed to get it before it did any permanent damage" he tells me and I try to sit up "how long have I been asleep? How long will I stay in here?" They all exchange looks and Alex comes over "you been under for almost a day, you should be out by the end of next week" I try to process this all "ok so when can I come back to surgery? When can I get back to doing my job" this is when they all hesitate.

"At least a month" Derek says and I shake my head "nope nuh, uh I am not waiting a month, I've bearly had any time here yet" Alex sits down on my bed then and reaches it comfort me but I pull away harshly and George says "you're not leaving forever, just a month you need to heal" I glare "I don't need to heal I need to work" I try to sit up more but Alex keeps me down "stay down before you hurt yourself, now you are going to stay here until the end of the week ok?" I huff and ignore the weird glances we are getting "fine" I mumble and he nods.

Derek stands up and everyone else moves to the door "we will have hourly checks on you. So make sure you're decent" he jokes and I poke my tongue out at him making him laugh "we'll see you later Andy"

When the others leave Karev gives it another minute before Amherst starts apologising "I am so sorry" he says "if I hadn't come to your place last night you wouldn't have been late this morning and you wouldn't have gotten into this accident" I roll my eyes and hit him on the arm "Karev, it's not all about you so suck it up. It happened, things happen. I'm fine now go learn how to be a surgeon" he seems hesitant debating about wether to stay and this time I pick up a pillow from behind me and hit him with it.

"Ow!" He says and takes the pillow from me and places it behind my back again "what was that for?" He asks and I frown "go be a surgeon don't stay in here because you feel guilty or whatever. Find a new girl find something to occupy your time" this makes Karev pull a face "whatever" and he storms out.

———-

Every hour I get checked by interns I don't know or like as they are rather harsh and impatient, someone needs to teach them some manners and how to treat patients because this is poor.

By mid day I just send the interns way saying i am fine and that if they don't leave me alone I will put them on scut until they turn 60. A good threat, it works every time. I'm starting to get bored of flicking through the tv and I called my parents, I told them I was fine and that I didn't need them to come down. I got a string of insults in Spanish and some in German before we said goodbye and hung up the phone.

There is a knock on my door making me jump and then it opens to reveal the interns. Yang, Stevens, O'Malley, Grey and Karev. All of them here, holding lunch trays "what are you guys doing here?" I ask as Meredith places a tray in front of me, "eating lunch duh" Yang says and they all take seats. I pick up a sandwich "alright tell me all the gossip" I demand before taking a bite of the food and groan at how good it tastes, "Derek's wife still has me on her service" Meredith says, I throw my hands in a surrender position "don't talk to me about Derek, I'm his friend and you are also my friend, I am also Addison's friend. I'm not getting in between that" everyone starts to laugh awkwardly when Cristina asks "where did you run to last night?" To Karev who is just trying to eat his pasta.

"What do you mean?" He asks finishing his mouthful, "well I was at Meredith's and I watched you run off, where did you go?" Alex and I share a look and immediately look away, images of last night running through my head "oh um I just went home" he says and continues eating his pasta. Apparently Izzie has a lot to say because she won't shut up and I am suddenly glad when the interns open the door, "what are you doing?" Meredith asks and the other interns looks scared even though they are the same level "we were supposed to check her every hour" one of them says and Yang rolls her eyes "we are in here you don't need to be" and she shoos them away.

—————

That night I am trying to rest with little success, my head pounding. I lay on my back looking up at the dull ceiling and tap my hands on my sides, I can't wait to get out of this bed already. My door slowly creaks open and I glance over, it's Alex "hey" he whispers "hi" I whisper back and sit up. He comes over and sits at the bottom of the bed "how are you feeling?" He asks gently and I shrug "fine a little headache but nothing to bad" he places a hand on my leg meant to be a comforting gesture but I shrug him off "look last night was great but you're an intern and I'm the head of my field this wouldn't work" he takes his hand off of me looking hurt "what?" He asks and I give him a look "I mean look at Meredith and Derek that went off like a house on fire and not a good one"

He stands up then "I don't know what you were thinking I just came to check on you" he says defensively "Karev listen ok I'm sorry" but before I can say anymore he is out of the room.

I fall back into my bed and check my messages there is one from Ronny 'something is wrong with the baby. You need to get here soon x' my heart jumps from my chest. Why did I have to get into a car crash? What if I don't get there in time? And on top of that I might have just broken and interns heart. Damn it.

In frustration I throw my pillow across the room, my heart rate monitor beeping like crazy.