Chapter 18

The next day I get up and get dressed (media) and head for work

The next day I get up and get dressed (media) and head for work. I don't officially start for a few hours but I have a few things to catch up on since I've been away. "Ah just the person I wanted to see" Richard Webber says catching up to me in entrance hall, I clutch a bottle of water in one hand and my bag in the other "chief Webber, what can I do for you?" A cheerful smile on face while trying not to think about the fight that almost happened last night, between my two ex-lovers.

"I have a case that might interest you" he says as we continue walking "I'll send the file over to you, let me know if you are interested" I nod my head as I branch off from him and to my floor. "Andy, you're here" Mark says sidling up next to me "I am indeed" I say coldly, I go to push open the door but Mark gets there first and holds it open, giving me a charming smile. "I thought you didn't start until 9?" He asks as he follows me through the hall, I place my sunglasses on the top of my head "I don't but I have paperwork to catch up on so I thought I'd get here early" I tell him and he seems to perk up "I'll help you" he suggests and I stop in the middle of the hall "look Mark, I have a new life here. I don't need to be reminded of New York, so please don't act like we don't have a history" and I walk off alone.

While I sit at a nurses station writing on paper I listen in to the nurses and apparently there is drama between the nurses and pathology which is slightly interesting. Suddenly a coffee appears in front of me and I look up, it's Mark "coffee, black, two sugars and cream" he says with a confident smirk on his face that makes my heart flutter and I sigh caving and taking the drink from him, I wrap my hands around it and look up him. He is leaning against the desk "you remembered" I say sweetly and he nods, holding his arms "of course I remembered my favourite girls coffee order" I roll my eyes and stand up "and you ruined it" he groans and I laugh.

I see someone turn to corner out of the corner of my eye but they stop abruptly and turn back around. Weird. I head towards the attending's lounge to get ready for work "what have you got today?" Mark asks walking me to the lounge, I take a drink of my coffee thinking for a second "I have a bowl resection, chemotherapy and an appendix to take out" Mark opens the door for me and I smile to myself; he is such a gentleman.

The attending's lounge is empty when we reach it. I head for my locker and open it and take out my lab coat and my scrubs "what happened to your practice?" I ask trying to create small talk as I get changed, Mark sits down on one of the sofas and throws his arm over the back of it "I sold it, there was nothing left for me in New York" this makes me stop for a second, did he really move here for me? Covering my awkwardness I ask "oh yeah? And what's here?" I try to keep my voice light and happy, there is a slight pause as though he is trying to figure out what to say "well my best friend is here, Derek and the woman I love is here" my heart squeezes again and I clear my throat "I should get to work" I say and he stands up as I turn around "right of course, I won't keep you"

————

On the way back to the peds floor I bump into Derek "oh hey" he says sounding a little upset, I give him a concerned look "hey are you ok?" He hums a yes and continues walking, what the hell? A few seconds later I see Addison, "hey, do you know what's up with Derek?" I ask and she laughs "wow I thought he would be over joyed" I give her a confused look "me and Derek are getting a divorce" she says simply and my eyes go wide in shock, I place my hand on her arm comfortingly "are you ok? I know how much you wanted to try again" I say softly and she sighs looking down at her feet "it sucks but I know he is in love with Meredith, you can't love a man that loves someone else" my heart goes out to her.