Chapter 9 - Harley

I wake up by the sound of yelling, I look down to see I was falling towards the ground. I look up to see dads suit holding me.

We slam across the ground, he was still holding me and taking all the impact.

I fly out of his arms and roll into the snow, grunting as I finally stop moving. "What....the fuck." I try to catch my breath, holding my hurt shoulder.

I stand up as dad starts to drag his suit. "Help me with this."

I grab the other side and start to drag it, "Honesty I can just carry it."

"Then be my fucking guest." He drops it and slightly laughs, watching as I grab the suits arms and flip it over my other shoulder.

I put it down as we reach a small station, dad steals a poncho and throws it over him as he goes into the telephone booth, I was happy I wore a sweater today.

Once he was done I grab the suit and follow him to a small house with a big garage. "So we're breaking in now. Cool. At least let me open the door so you don't break a hip, old man."

"Old man." He scoffs and holds up the suit, I walk over to the door and use all my strength to kick it open. He takes to suit over to the couch as I turn on the lights.

Dad sits at the workbench and finds some materials to stitch me up. He then works on messing with something in his arms.

"Freeze! Don't move!" I look up to see a kid with a potato gun.

"You got us. Nice potato gun. Barrel's a little long. Between that and the wide gauge, it's gonna diminish your FPS." The boy points his gun at a glass on a shelf and shoots at it, breaking the glass.

"And now you're out of ammo." I smirk.

"What's that thing on your chest?" He asks dad.

"It's a electromagnet. You should know, you've got a box of them right here." Dad points to the box.

"What does it power?" Dad stands and points the desk light at his suit sitting on the couch behind him. "Oh my God!" The kid drops his toy gun and takes a step towards us. "Oh my god! That... that's... Is that Iron Man?"

"Technically, I am."

"Technically, you're dead." He gives dad a newspaper which has Dad and I's picture with the headline 'Mandarin Attack: Starks presumed dead'"

"A valid point." I nod.

"What happened to him?" He asks about the suit.

"Life. I built him, I take care of him, I'll fix him."

"Like a mechanic?" The kid asks.

"Yeah."

The kid smiles, "Oh. If I was building Iron Man and War Machine."

"It's Iron Patriot now."

"That's way cooler!" The kid laughs.

"No, it's not."

"Who is that?" I ask.

"Uncle Rhodey has one of my suits." He nods.

"I miss that guy."

The kid interrupts, "Anyways, I would have added in um... the retro..."

"Retroreflective panels?"

"To make him stealth mode." The kid nods.

"You want a stealth mode?"

"Cool, right?" He smiles.

"That's actually a good idea. Maybe I'll build one."

He touches the suit and accidentally snaps off one of its fingers. "Oops!"

"Not a good idea! What are you doing? You're gonna break his finger? He's in pain, he's been injured. Leave him alone."

"S...Sorry."

"Are you? Don't worry about it, I'll fix it. So, uh, who's home?" Dad asks.

"Well, my mom already left for the diner and dad went to 7-Eleven to get scratchers. I... I guess he won, 'cause that was six years ago."

"Mm. Which happens, dads leave. No need to be a pussy about it. Here's what I need: a laptop, a digital watch, a cell phone, the pneumatic actuator from your bazooka over there, a map of town, a big spring, and a tuna fish sandwich." Dad says, I lightly smack his arm.

"What's in it for me?"

"Salvation. What's his name?" Dad asks.

"Who?" The kid tilts his head.

"The kid that bullies you at school, what's his name?"

"How'd you know that?" He asks.

"I got just the thing." Dad opens a compartment on the suit and takes out a metal object. "This is a pinata for a cricket. I'm kidding, it's a very powerful weapon. Point it away from your face, press the button on top. It discourages bullying. Non-lethal, just to cover one's ass. Deal? Deal? What'd you say?"

"Deal." He smiles.

"What's you're name?" I smile at the kid.

"Harley."

"Y/N." I shake his hand.

"And you're..."

"The mechanic. Tony." Dad looks at Harley for a moment. "You know what keeps going through my head? Where's my sandwich?"