Chapter 51 - Dora Milaje

The three of us start following Zemo, sighing as we see John and Lemar. "Karli Morgenthau is too dangerous for you guys to be pulling this shit."

"Ah! How'd you find us now?" I ask, laughing in disbelief.

"Come on. You think three Avengers can walk around Latvia without drawing attention? Especially you...your Tony Starks daughter." Lemar points.

"No more keeping us in the dark. You could start by telling us why you broke him out of prison."

"He did that himself, technically." I shrug.

"This better be an unbelievable explana..."

"Hey, take it easy before it gets weird." Sam stops John.

Zemo steps up, "I know where Karli is."

"Well, where?"

"All we know is, it's a memorial. So, we're gonna intercept her there." Sam says as we start walking again.

"That means civilians. High risk of casualties."

"All right, good, we'll move in fast. Take her by surprise." John says.

"No, I wanna talk to her alone. I'm not losing her again." Sam says.

"Look, the person closest to her died, she's vulnerable. Now is the best time to reason with her." I say.

"What? No. Wait, no! No! Stop. Hold on. Stop, okay?" John stops us and stands in front of us, "I think we're way past reasoning with her, unless you forgot that she blew up a building with people still in it."

"Sam, you walk in there cold, she could kill you."

"If I go in hot and the op goes wrong, more people will die." Sam sighs.

"You'll let him do this? Are you gonna let your partner walk into a room with a Super Soldier alone?" John asks Bucky and I.

"He's dealt with worse. And he's not out partner." I roll my eyes.

"I used to counsel soldiers dealing with trauma, okay? This is in my wheelhouse."

"I know. And I know those soldiers, which is why I know this is a bad idea." John nods.

"Wait Sam...I think I need to go. I uh...I know Karli. I'm not gonna talk about it right now but I should be the one to go." I say.

"No...no way."

"Trust me. She'll freak out if she sees you." I say. "She knows me."

"Wait, John. If she can talk her down, it might be worth a try." Lemar says.

John scoffs and stares at Zemo, "We'll deal with you later."

"I'm sure it will all come to an agreeable conclusion. My associate is just up ahead." Zemo points to a little girl.

Zemo whispers to the little girl and nods at us, "What the hell?" John follows us.

The little girl takes us to a large building and points to a door, then running off. "Karli's in there." Zemo says.

"All right." I take a deep breath.

John suddenly grabs Zemo and cuffs him to a pipe, "Hey. You got ten minutes. Then we're doing things my way."

I nod and walk off, finding the funeral and standing on the balcony above as I listen.

"I don't remember my mother or my father. Same goes for siblings, grandparents, cousins. What I do remember is bein' alone. Worse than bein' hungry or cold or scared. I was alone. Until Mama Donya. Like a lot of you here, Mama Donya saved me. She clothed me, fed me, loved me." Karli looks up at me and slightly gasps. "She taught me that we have to do for each other because they won't. And we know who they are. They imposed struggle and hardship on us, then labeled us as criminals for pushing back. But the struggle is what brings us all together. People who have nothin' in common. For we are, after all, simply one world and one people. So live accordingly."