Chapter 23 - Safe House

Steve holds onto my side as we walk through a field and into a nice home. "Honey, I'm home!" Clint yells. We look up as a pregnant woman walks in, "Hi. Company. Sorry I didn't call ahead."

"Hey." She kisses Clint.

"This is an agent of some kind." Tony says.

"Lady and Gentleman, this is Laura."

"I know all your names." She smiles as we look at her awkwardly.

Clint turns as we hear running, "Ooh, incoming."

Two children run in, "Dad!"

"Hi, sweetheart! Hey, buddy! How you guys doing?"

"These are...smaller agents." Tony says.

"Look at your face! Oh, my goodness!"

"Did you bring Auntie Nat?" The little girl asks.

Nat steps up, "Why don't you hug her and find out?" She hugs her.

"Sorry for barging in on you." Steve nods.

"Yeah, we would have called ahead, but we were busy having no idea that you existed."

"Yeah, well Fury helped me set this up when I joined. He kept it off Shield's files, I'd like to keep it that way. I figure it's a good place to lay low." Clint smiles.

I look over as Steve and Thor walk outside. I grab onto Tony's arm and drag him outside and onto the porch away from Steve. "Hey!"

"You told me that my mother died....you lied to me!" I raise my voice.

"What are you talking about?"

"Wanda...she messed with my head but most of what she showed me happened in real life...like you being a terrible father. Saying how dumb I was like my mother....but then I saw something....I saw my mother. Grandpa had paid her to disappear. How could you never tell me that!" I yell.

"I....He threatened her...made her take the money. Then my father threatened me to never tell you."

"Well he's dead now, you still could of told me." I say, instantly regretting how I said that. "What is her name?"

"Y/N I don't think-"

"What is her name!" I yell through my tears.

"Amanda Jones." He whispers.

"I can't believe you..." I shake my head, backing away. I run right into Steve, I look up to see him giving Tony a death glare. "Excuse me." I run inside.

I wait my turn and take a shower last, I was sitting down with my knees against my chest as the water hit me from above. It was freezing but....I couldn't feel it. I was too numb.

I slowly look up as the curtain pulls back to see Nat. She smiles softly and kneels down, helping me wash my hair. "Your lips are blue, honey." She sighs.

I finish washing myself. Staring down at the ground as I change into my clothes. Nat holds my hand and takes me to a bedroom. She sits me down on the bed and sits behind me, starting to brush and braid my hair.

"My father lied to me....my mother didn't die. Howard Stark paid her to leave." I whisper. "My mother is out there....she wanted me...she was threatened to leave me and never contact me."

"Y/N I'm so sorry." She whispers, finishing my hair.

I turn to face her. "I'm gonna find my mother....I'm gonna tell her how sorry I am."

"Y/N you have nothing to be sorry about...Tony is the one that should be sorry...you had no choice." She caresses the side of my face.

"That nightmare....I saw all of you die. I don't want to lose you...you guys are my family." I cry.

"Your not gonna lose us." She chuckles and pulls me in. "I'll always be here for you. So will Steve and Clint." She rubs my back. Nat had stayed with me for a couple hours, holding me as I try to sleep.

Later that night we ate dinner with Nick Fury.

"Ultron took you folks out of play to buy himself time. My contacts all say he's building something. The amount of Vibranium he made off with, I don't think it's just one thing."

"What about Ultron himself?" Steve asks.

"Ah. He's easy to track, he's everywhere. Guy's multiplying faster than a Catholic rabbit. Still doesn't help us get an angle on any of his plans though."

"He still going after launch codes?" Tony asks.

"Yes, he is, but he's not making any headway."

"I cracked the Pentagon's firewall in high school on a dare." Tony nods.

"Yeah, well, I contacted our friends at the Nexus about that."

"Nexus?" Steve asks.

"It's the world internet hub in Oslo, every byte of data flows through there, fastest access on earth." I say.

"So what'd they say?" Clint asks.

"He's fixated on the missiles, but the codes are constantly being changed." Nick nods.

"By whom?"

"Parties unknown." Nick says.

Nat looks up, "Do we have an ally?"

"Ultron's got an enemy, that's not the same thing. Still, I'd pay folding money to know who it is."

"I might need to visit Oslo, find our unknown." Tony nods.

"Well, this is good times, boss, but I was kind of hoping when I saw you, you'd have more than that." Nat sighs.

"I do, I have you. Back in the day, I had eyes everywhere, ears everywhere else. Here we all are, back on earth, with nothing but our wit, and our will to save the world. So stand. Outwit the platinum bastard."

"Steve doesn't like that kind of talk." Nat looks right at Steve.

Steve shakes his head, "You know what, Romanoff?" Nat smiles mischievously at him.

"So what does he want?"

"To become better. Better than us. He keeps building bodies." Steve says.

"Person bodies. The human form is inefficient, biologically speaking, we're outmoded. But he keeps coming back to it." I say.

"When you two programmed him to protect the human race, you amazingly failed." Nat says to Bruce and Tony.

Bruce looks down at a drawing, "They don't need to be protected, they need to evolve. Ultron's going to evolve."

"How?"

"Has anyone been in contact with Helen Cho?" Bruce asks.

Steve was taking, Clint, Nat, and I. Tony only looked at me as I walked out of the house in my suit, he didn't even say a word.