Chapter 13 - Decoy

Dad and I drive all night and most of the morning to Miami. We go to a hardware store and buy a bunch of supplies for him, then taking it to a hotel.

After building a bunch of gadgets, we got some rest and then left for the coordinates. I teleport over the wall of the mansion as dad climbs over, I bend down and slowly approach a man. I leap up and grab his back, throwing behind back into the wall.

I look over as dad drops an ornament bomb into the fountain as I punch another man down. I teleport inside to see it was extremely messy. I walk into a living room to see a guard talking to a woman clearly high on something. I grab his neck and choke him, pulling him back so he can't reach for the gun. I only choke him enough to make him sleep.

Dad walks over and grabs the gun, leading me into a bedroom. We look over to see two women in bed, I put my finger to my lips to shush them. I quickly teleport behind the bed as the toilet flushes, Dad runs and stands with me. "Well, I wouldn't go in there for 20 minutes. Now, which one of you is Vanessa?" Dad and I look at each other in confusion as we hear an accent.

"That's me."

"Ah! Nessie. Did you know that fortune cookies aren't even Chinese?" He laughs

"There's some guy over here."

"And girl,"

"They're made by Americans, based on a Japanese recipe." He says.

Dad jumps out, "Hey!"

The Mandarin raises his hands at us. "Bloody hell. Bloody hell."

"Don't move." Dad aims the gun at him.

"I'm not moving. You want something? Take it. Although the guns are all fake because those wankers wouldn't trust me with the real ones."

"What?" Dad asks.

"Hey, do you fancy either of the birds?"

"Heard enough. You're not him. The Mandarin, the real guy. Where? Where's the Mandarin? Where is he?" Dad yells.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. He's here. He's here, but he's not here. He's here, but he's not here."

"What do you mean?" I ask

"It's complicated. Hey, it's complicated."

"It is?" Dad asks.

"It's complicated."

"Uncomplicate it. Ladies, out. Get out of the bed. Get into the bathroom. Sit." I point, the ladies instantly run into the bathroom, they scream as dad shoots the spot next to the man as he crawls.

"My name is Trevor. Trevor Slattery."

"What are you? What are you, a decoy? You're a double, right?" Dad asks.

"What, you mean like an understudy? No, absolutely not." Dad points the gun at Trevor's face. "Don't hurt the face! I'm an actor."

"You got a minute to live. Fill it with words." I grab him and throw him into the chair.

"It's just a role. The Mandarin, see, it's not real."

"Then how did you get here, Trevor?" I ask.

"Um. Well, I, um, had a little problem with, um, substances. And I ended up, um, doing things, no two ways about it, in the street, that a man shouldn't do."

"Next?" Dad nods.

"Then, they approached me about the role, and they knew about the drugs."

"What did they say? They'd get you off them?" I ask.

"They said they'd give me more. They gave me things. They gave me this palace. They gave me plastic surgery. They gave me things." He starts to snore.

"Did you just nod off? Hey." Dad kicks him.

"No, and a lovely speedboat. And the thing was, he needed someone to take credit for some accidental explosions." He mimic's an explosion.

"He? Killian?" Dad asks.

Trevor nods. "Killian. You are absolutely beautiful. And fierce." He smiles up at me.

"Focus asshole. So he created you?" I ask.

"He created me."

"Custom-made terror threat." Dad looks over at me.

"Yes. Yes. His think tank thinked it up. The pathology of a serial killer. The manipulation of Western iconography. Ready for another lesson? Blah, blah, blah. No. Of course, it was my performance that brought the Mandarin to life."

"Your performance? Where people died?" Dad asks angrily.

"No, they didn't. Look around you. The costumes, green screen. Honestly, I wasn't on location for half this stuff. And when I was, it was movie magic, love."

Dad shakes his head. "I'm sorry, but I got a best friend who's in a coma and he might not wake up. So you're gonna have to answer for that. You're still going down, pal. You under..." Dad was suddenly knocked out.

I turn, also getting struck in the head.