Chapter 50 - Donya

I was laying across the couch as Zemo was taking a shower, Sam was in the kitchen. Finally Bucky comes back and slams the door.
"Well, the Wakandans are here. They want Zemo. Bought us some more time."

"Were you followed?" I ask.

"No."

"How can you be so sure?" Zemo walks out and looks out the window.

"Cause I know when I'm being followed."

"It was sweet of you to defend me at least." Zemo nods.

"Hey, you shut it. No one's defending you. You killed Nagel." I say.

"Do we really have to litigate what may or may not have happened?"

"There's nothing to litigate. You straight shot the man." Sam says.

"Guys..."

"What?" I frown.

"Karli bombed a GRC supply depot."

"What? What's the damage?" I sit up.

"Eleven injured, three dead. They have a list of demands and are promising more attacks if those demands aren't met."

"She's getting worse. I have the will to complete this mission. Do the three of you?" Zemo asks.

"She's just a kid." Sam sighs.

"You're seeing something in her that isn't there. You're clouded by it. She's a supremacist. The very concept of a Super Soldier will always trouble people. It's that warped aspiration that led to Nazis, to Ultron, to the Avengers." Zemo crosses his arms.

"You're talking about our friends. The Avengers, not the Nazis."

"So, Karli is radicalized, but there has to be a peaceful way to stop her." Sam says.

"The desire to become a superhuman cannot be separated from supremacist ideals. Anyone with that serum is inherently on that path. She will not stop. She will escalate until you kill her. Or she kills you."

"Maybe you're wrong, Zemo. The serum never corrupted Steve." I say.

"Touché. But there has never been another Steve Rogers, has there?"

"Well, maybe we should give him to the Wakandans right now." Bucky sighs, sitting beside me.

"And you'll give up your tour guide?"

"Yes." I nod.

"From my understanding, Donya is like a pillar of the community, right? So, when I was a kid, my TT passed away."

"Your TT?" Bucky asks.

"Yeah, my TT, yeah."

"Who is your TT?" I ask.

"Fine. When I was a kid, my aunt passed away and the entire neighborhood got together for a ceremony. It was like a week long. Maybe they're doing the same thing for Donya."

"Worth a shot." I shrug.

"Your TT would be proud of you. Turkish delight. Irresistible." He holds one up.

"Just get dressed." I roll my eyes, walking outside.

The three meet me outside and we follow Zemo. "Shame what's become of this place. When I was young, we used to come here for fabulous dinners and parties. I knew nothing of the politics of the time, of course, but I remember it being beautiful."

"I'm gonna take a look around upstairs. See what you can find out here. And keep an eye on him." Sam nods, walking off

"I'll stay out of your way." Zemo smiles, walking off.

"I'll go around...you just watch him."  Bucky nods. 

I stand there with my hands in my coat pockets, frowning as Zemo approaches kids and start singing. "What a fucking creep..." I mutter.

After a couple more minutes Bucky stands beside me and crosses his arms. "I got nothing."

Sam then stands on my other side, "It's starting to feel like a dead end."

"What the fuck is he doing?" I ask.

We watch as he turns to look at us, a little girl whispers to him and he pours out candy and walks back to us. "Cute kids."

Once we get back to the apartment, I sit down on the couch and sigh. "Well, I got nothin'. No one's talkin' about Donya." Bucky sits beside me.

"Yeah, it's because Karli is the only one fighting for them....And she's not wrong." I sigh.

"What do you mean?" Bucky asks.

"For five years, people have been welcomed into countries that have kept them out using barbwire. There were houses and jobs. Folks were happy to have people around to help them rebuild. It wasn't just one community coming together, it was the entire world coming together. And then, boom. Just like that, it goes right back to the way it used to be. To them, at least Karli's doin' somethin'." I say, staring off and remembering my place in all that.

"You really think her ends justify her means? Then, she's no different than him or anybody else we've fought."

"She's different. She's not motivated by the same things." Sam adds.

Bucky frowns and stares at Zemo as he approaches us. "That little girl. What'd she tell you?"

"The funeral is this afternoon."

"You know the Dora's coming for you any minute. In fact, they're probably lurking outside right now. Keep talking." I say.

"Leaving you to turn on me once we get to Karli. Hmm. I prefer to keep my leverage."

Bucky stands and grabs the cup in Zemo's hand, hurling it at the wall beside Zemo. "You wanna see what someone can do with leverage?"

Sam leaps up. "Take it easy. Don't engage him. He's just gonna extort you and do that stupid head tilt thing. Let me make a call."

"You want some cherry blossom tea?" Zemo asks.

"No, you go ahead." Bucky growls as he walks into the bathroom.

I rush after him and softly knock on the door, "Buck? Can I come in?"

"Yeah." He mumbles. 

I open the door and close it behind me as I see him sitting on the floor against the bathtub with his knees bent, his head resting in his hands. I sit beside him, "Hey...don't let him get to you."

"I know we need him but...I just hate him. He just reminds me of my past."

"Your not the Winter Soldier. Your not a killer."  I nod.

"Did your father tell you what I did?"

"He did. You killed my grandparents." I sigh. "But I don't care. Because I know you. And I know you aren't a killer. I know that Hydra tortured you, they forced you to do awful things. It wasn't your fault. And I know how you feel." I smile. "Come here." I open my arms for him.

Bucky scoots over and lays on his side, laying his head in my lap. "Can you sing for me? Please?"

"What do you want me to sing?" I start to rub his head.

"The first sing you ever sang to me."

I smile and continue to rub his head, "I have a dream....a sing to sing. To help me cope...with anything. If you see the wonder...of a fairytale. You can take the future...even if you fail. I believe in angels....something good in everything I see. I believe in angels...when I know the time is right for me. I'll cross the stream...I have a dream."

Bucky reaches up and holds onto my hand, he pulls it down and kisses the top of my hand. "You are the only one who knows me...the only one who understands me. And your the only one who can calm me down."