Chapter 55 - Karli

Bucky and I quickly had to get back to work, Karli had lockdown the GRC meeting.

I walk beside Bucky and crack my neck, looking around as the cops were flooded down the street. "I'm almost there." Sam says through our earpieces.

"What's the plan?" I ask.

"Karli's gotta be close. Keep your eyes open."

"Well, it could be anybody." Bucky sighs.

We stop as an officer pulls back a barricade. "Sergeant Barnes. Miss Stark."

I nod as we pass, "And by the way, I called in some backup."

"Excuse me. Are you supposed to be here?" A man stops us.
I frown as they pulls off a veil to reveal its Sharon. "It's me."

"Sharon, what the hell are you doing here?" I ask.

"Relax. No one's looking for me here."

"Do I hear Sharon?" Sam asks.

"Unfortunately." I mutter.

"Hey, Sam. I thought I'd get the band back together."

"Thank you. You're risking a lot coming here." Sam says.

"I hear pardons aren't all they're cracked up to be anyway."

"Depends on the therapist." Bucky says.

"They'll move on the building soon. Be ready." After a few minutes, Sam speaks up again. "Sharon, Bucky, what's going on on your end?"

"Nothing. All quiet." I say, observing around us. "No one's moving toward the building."

"Karli's not coming in. She's trying to force everybody out....It's a misdirect. We gotta keep everybody inside." The three of us start running around the building, reaching the front. "You guys are gonna have to do something. Don't let 'em out of the building."

We rush inside and past a metal detector, it beeps at Bucky. "Oops." Sharon shrugs.

"Here's one of them. I'll get the evac." Bucky nods, walking with me.

A woman approaches him and hands him a phone, I stand back and hide beside a pillar as I try find some of the Flag Smashers. After three minutes, Bucky comes back and hands me the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello, Y/N. I'm glad we finally have another private moment to talk."

"Karli...please stop this. You and I both know this won't end well." I sigh as I walk down the stairs.

"There was a time you supported me...helped me find a home. You became a friend. Join me. Help me again. I tried to ask you last time....but I'm begging you this time."

"Karli...you know I can't, I told you I can't. No matter what happens, you will be hunted and killed." I rub my face. "I don't want that for you."

"I wanted to have the chance to tell you how sorry I was....and that I know what your going through. I know what loss feels like, you know I do. I didn't get a chance to tell you that last time we spoke, I guess I didn't know a lot about your story, I thought you had a perfect life."

"Trust me...I'm not perfect. My life's been full of pain and misery." I chuckle.

Karli doesn't speak for a moment. "Thank you Y/N...you've been a big help." She suddenly hangs up.

My eyes widen as I realize what she was doing, I hand Bucky the phone and run by Sharon. "Seriously guys, you had one job."

"You worry about your guy." I say as I get behind Bucky on a motorcycle. He speeds off as I hold onto his shoulders, looking up to see the helicopter about the take off