Chapter 26 - End of Ultron

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are we'll be riding into heavy fire, and that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done, and find out what Ultron's been building. We find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters and we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right."

After Steve's big speech, we all split up. I stay with him on the bridge and help guide people across.

"So what's going on with your powers?"

"I think Strucker was right, I can read minds now...and I can feel people's emotions...I can feel who's in a building when I touch the wall or ground. It's strange." I nod. "I haven't noticed it until now."

"Definitely is strange....but cool." He nods.

Suddenly an arm breaks out of the ground and grabs onto my ankle, people around us scream as more bots come out. "Get off the bridge!" I yell, yanking the bot out of the ground and tearing it apart. "In that building!" I point. I turn as two young children were screaming and alone, a bot was trying to reach for them. I leap up and slam onto its head. I pick up the children and holding one at each side of me as I run, luckily being a super soldier made me fast. I get them to safety and teleport back next to Steve. I grab onto his arm as the ground shakes and splits. I look down as we start to fly, "I have a bad feeling about this." I shake my head.

We both look up as Ultron flies up above the flying city, "Do you see....the beauty of it? The inevitability.You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor. My swift and terrible sword. And the earth will crack with the weight of your failure. Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing. When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world...will be metal."

I flip back and tear off the head to a bot, looking up as two bots tackle Steve and I into a car. "Cap, you got incoming." Tony says.

"Incoming already came in, Stark, you worry about bringing the city back down safely. The rest of us have one job, tear these things apart. You get hurt, hurt them back. You get killed... walk it off." Steve nods at me.

Suddenly Ultron tackles me and slams me through a building, I teleport behind him and slam him down into the ground, jumping up and kicking him through the building. I step outside and look up to see Tony was surrounded by fifty bots. 

"Dad!" I scream, teleporting onto a bot in the sky. I break its head and leap up onto the next bot and then repeating several times. I was caught up on fighting that I didn't see the bot flying over and blasting the side of my head.

I let go of the bot I was fighting and start to fall, my eyes slowly closing. I slowly open my eyes to see dad had grabbed me, he flies me down and lays me on the ground, holding my head up.

"Sweetie...wake up...come on." I open my eyes again to see he was crying. "Why would you do that! You could of died!" He cries.

"Because your my dad....and I wanted to protect you."

His lip quivers and he pulls me up in his arms to hug me. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too, Dad...but we are kind of in the middle of a fight." I chuckle, wincing from the pain in my head.

"Are you gonna be okay?" He pulls me up.

"I'm fine." I nod, smiling as I back away.

I turn and teleport back to Steve. I kick a bot down and look over to see Nat. We clear this wave and help get the people into cover. "You alright?" Steve asks me.

"I'm fine. The next wave is gonna hit any minute." I say.

Steve looks up, "What do you got, Stark?"

"Nothing great. Maybe a way to blow up the city. That'll keep it from impacting the surface, if you guys can get clear."

"I asked for a solution, not an escape plan." Steve says.

"Impact radius is getting bigger every second. We're gonna have to make a choice."

"Cap, these people are going nowhere. If Stark finds a way to blow this rock..." Nat tilts her head.

"Not till everyone's safe."

"Everyone up here versus everyone down there? There's no math there." Nat shakes her head.

"We're not leaving this rock with one civilian on it." I agree with Steve.

"I didn't say we should leave." Steve and I turn to look at her. "There's worse ways to go. Where else am I gonna get a view like this?"

"Glad you like the view, Romanoff. It's about to get better." A voice says in our ear pieces. I look up to see a Helicarrier fly up...it was Fury. "Nice, right? Pulled her out of mothballs with a couple of old friends. She's dusty, but she'll do."

"Fury, you son of a bitch." Steve smiles.

"Ooo, You kiss your mother with that mouth?"

"This is Shield?" Pietro asks as the lifeboats fly over.

"This is what Shield is supposed to be." Steve nods.

"This is not so bad."

"Let's load them up." I smile, teleporting back over to the building.

We all work together and help get the people into the boats.

"Avengers, time to work for a living." Dad says. I teleport into the church, grabbing a flying bot and crushing it. "Romanoff. You and Banner better not be playing hide the zucchini."

"Relax, shellhead. Not all of us can fly." After I crush a few more bots, she runs in. "What's the drill?"

"This is the drill. If Ultron gets a hand on the core, we lose." Dad says.

"Is that the best you can do?" Thor yells.

Ultron stares at us and summons his army. "You had to ask." Steve sighs.

"This is the best I can do. This is exactly what I wanted. All of you against all of me. How can you possibly hope to stop me?"

"Well, like the old man said..." Dad pauses and looks at Steve. "Together."

I crack my knuckles as the bots come flooding in, I leap up and grab a flying one, slamming into another and then crushing it in my hands. I take out my gun and shoot up, landing a head shot each time. I put my gun away and roll out of the way of a blast, kicking a bots back. I spin around as dad, Vision, and Thor blast Ultron back. Hulk punches him and causes the bots to retreat.

"They'll try to leave the city!"

"We can't let 'em, not even one. Rhodey!" Dad yells.

Steve looks at all of us, "We gotta move out. Even I can tell the air is getting thin. You guys get to the boats, I'll sweep for stragglers, be right behind you."

"What about the core?" Clint asks.

"I'll protect it. It's my job."  Wanda nods.

I turn and teleport to a boat, guarding it. One bot lands down, I grab it and crush it before it can hurt the civilians. I get in and turn as I hear bullets firing....Ultron.  Steve walks over and carries Pietro's body and lays him down. 

We saved the people....but did we really win?