FORTY NINE 🌸

CARLTON THOMAS was every gay mans wet dream, and apparently bisexual men too

Figures, if Arlo was going to shack up with anyone it just had to be a five foot nine hunk of handsome. 

My eyes narrowed to slits as I stood with 'my group' holding onto the strap of my duffle bag with a death-like grip.

He was opposite, standing aloof with his group, Carlton being one of them. Envy roped around my heart and squeezed, they'll be spending a lot of time together this week.

"Five minutes!" Principal Moore shouted. "We're going head to head in a gladiator duel!" A rumbling of excited whispers broke out around the campsite. "Go unpack your things!"

Cabin 10 smelt like dusty pinewood and untouched air. I had a lone cabin, meant to be shared with Lexi but she ditched me for her boyfriend who was conveniently staying somewhere off campus close by. I didn't care though, I enjoyed my own company.

The overhanging light was dim, slightly swaying with every step I took. A large dream catcher hung above the bed and I swished the cream-coloured tassels against my fingers hoping this dumb heap of material actually served it's purpose and kept my nightmares at bay. The mattress springs creaked as I flopped down onto the bed but it smelt of freshly washed linen, hung out to dry.

My phone vibrated against the bedside table and when I picked it up my notification bar screamed 'new message.'

Aiden: Hey Fearny, word around Fresco is that you're coming back for summer. Hope we can hang out. I've missed you.

I locked my phone and tossed it away in the drawer, the same place I kept all of my problems. Tossed away in the theoretical drawer of my own mind.

"Let the duels begin!" Sheepishly I exited my cabin, standing on the wheelchair ramp while I listened for the instructions.

"We're going head to head, team A against team B. Winning team gets the tastiest meal tonight, losers get rice and beans. Each opponent will be given a gladiator stick, the task is simple - knock the enemy player off the platform."

That broke out a buzz of chatter all around us, the playful death threats started along with words of encouragement.

"Let's move on down to the lake."

I'll admit it actually seemed like it could be fu- wait, did he say lake?

My pulse frolicked like crazy, moving in my neck like a jumping spider trapped under my skin. I couldn't go to the lake, I just couldn't. My veins tightened and vomit clogged in my throat.