Chapter 84

Surprised, I look from the glass to Noa. The flavour was mainly strawberry, with an icy undertone that I cannot place. As soon as this thought passes through my brain I realise I could taste it. Noa just looks at me with a grin on his lips. If I ask him now what was in this glass, I know I won't get an answer. I decide to keep my mouth shut, accept that my body has something to run on.

'Where have you been?'. I whisper the words in his direction, it's barely audible. Noa brings his head closer to my ear. 'I had to get something, I'll show you in a bit'. This boy is so fickle I almost don't feel like making the effort to understand him. I just nod, knowing that I'm not going to get any more information now. Everyone continues eating without noticing that Noa has arrived, or ignoring him.

I look around the table, everyone seems to be eating their last portion. Noa seems to have no interest in the food in front of him, he is staring as mesmerised as I am. I feel two eyes on me. As soon as I lift my head I see that they are David's eyes, staring. 'Ooh David, you're back'. Noa's tone doesn't sound necessarily pleased with David's return. David just swallows his last bite and gets ready to answer. 'Yes, my education is finished'. Noa nods understandingly, not necessarily enthusiastically.

There is an awkward silence which, thank God, is interrupted by my mother. 'I hope you enjoyed it'. The table is cleared by the servants, I suggest everyone gets ready for the party that is about to begin'. Without any more words, the room empties out, everyone goes to his or her own space. I don't see what I should change about my appearance but still I get up, staying seated is not an option either. I want to walk to my own room but I am stopped by Noa, who grabs my hand and pulls me in another direction.

After a few steps it becomes clear to me that we are walking to his old room. Chea and Elien have insisted that nothing be changed, so done. I don't protest, I let myself be pulled along. We soon arrive at the black wooden door, Noa opens it and walks into his older room. The bed is neatly made and nothing has changed since the last time I came here. 'I want to start by saying that you look beautiful. If we had the time I would have pulled the dress off you'.

I look at Noa in surprise at his rude words, but there is something exciting about it. I am standing in the middle of the room. Noa takes a step closer to me. His hand slips into the pocket of his jacket, a clenched fist comes out. 'I know you might not want to take this but I think you should keep it'. He grabs my hand with his free hand, turns my wrist and opens my palm upwards. His fist hangs over my open hand before I feel something cold on my skin. As soon as I look at what he has placed in my hand, I see my necklace.

'I know it wasn't just a storage for Reviri, I know there are more spells on it. In the time I have known you, you have never taken off that necklace and you mustn't do so now. It belongs to your body and it has to stay there'. Noa takes my hand and closes my fingers around the necklace. I had taken it off to close a chapter, to be able to leave it behind me. I won't say I regretted it later, I'll just say it was hard for me.

I look at the silver necklace in my hand, the black stone with more magic on it than I have told. My eyes slide to the boy in front of me, he stares at me. With my other hand I pick up the silver, the stone hanging down. I hold out the piece of jewellery to him. Put it on. Noa's gaze is surprised, confused to say the least. He smiles and takes the silver from my hand.

I turn slowly, making room for Noa. His arms wrap around me, hanging the necklace on my neck. A feeling of trust, safety and power enters my body. As if the missing pieces of the puzzle are falling back into place. As if the last two hours are falling into place. I turn towards Noa, his blue eyes looking at me amusedly. He grabs my waist gently and pulls me closer, my lips on his.

My arms wrap around his neck, enjoying the touch and the warmth. Noa's fingers gently press into my hips. We have become more intimate in recent days, needing each other's touch more. I don't think that's necessarily my departure, rather our bond has strengthened. Before the kiss can deepen very far, I pull away. 'We have to go to the hall'. It comes out of my mouth panting, unconvincingly.