BOLD & SERENE : EPISODE 4

BOLD AND SERENE

Bismillaah

EPISODE 4

AYESHA

I held my mum by her shoulders and took her to the living room. I rubbed the chair beside me and made her sit. I went to the kitchen and brought her water. She took a gulp and looked at me as in asking me what's all that. I cleared my throat and started...

"Mum,this dunya has gone beyond wealth and wealthy people.."
She opened her mouth to interrupt but i quickly shook my head and she remained quiet. "We should not sell our pride and happiness to rich people just for our quest for wealth. We should not sacrifice our happiness and that of our kith and kins for opulence. Have you ever thought that we can make money for ourselves? And we are doing it. You are trying and I am aiming high. My aims are beyond getting married. Instead of marrying a rich guy and depending on his money,I want to make my own money and help you,you,my family. I want to make you live in luxury like they are doing. It needs patience! It needs time,but we should have sabr. It's hard but INDEED WITH HARDSHIP COMES EASE (QURAN,94:8). Please do not snatch my dream away from me mum,please."

I used almost all the words I know and tried to persuade mum. Mum has always been an emotional person and I believed she would understand. I mean,my dreams are for her,for dad,for waleed and for my sisters...in short,for my family. I need not hear her agree with me. I smiled to myself and raised my head to see the expression on mum's face.

Surprised! She was crying? I mean,are my words that touchy?

"Maa?" I gaped at her

"Ayesha I wish I could do anything about this" she sobbed "you will not understand but this is my only way of protecting you and keeping you with me forever" I was starting to get confused here. "I love you Ayesha and...." she trailed off and started sobbing aloud. I immediately pulled her to myself and hugged her tightly. I rubbed my hands on her arm and whispered.
"I love you too Maa"

We stayed like that for a while and mum didn't stop crying. I was beginning to feel scared. I would break the hug at intervals and pass her water. She will take a gulp and rest on my arms. For some reason,I felt good. I felt good seeing my mum lean in and feel comfortable to my touch. But I felt bad too,seeing my beautiful mum break down like that.

After some minutes,she finally got up and went to her room. I heaved a sigh and went to our room. I was about to get in when i heard Asiyah say my name. Ok,I didn't want to eavesdrop but I had no choice.

"Ayesha irritates me! Since childhood she'd snatched everything that was supposed to be mine! And now,Ebrahim..."
I didn't wait for her to complete what she was saying

"You can have her big sis,I am not interested in him anyway" I passed her a dry smile to which she rolled her eyes.

"Asiyah" I called and she looked at me.
"We are family and I will not let an outsider break our bond"
"Huh,drama queen" she scoffed and walked out. I sighed and sat on the bed.

Asiyah has always been like this with me,I don't know why she hates...no,dislikes me this much. At least I am her sister,right?
But it makes a little difference to me,Humayrah and Waleed are there for me.

***

It's Saturday and I was glad that I would be spending it with family. Not that I spend my other days with some other people.

I would say I woke up from the good side of my bed today because I was so happy. So unlike me in the morning. Me every morning : frown,keep mute and head on to do my chores. Today was different though.