Chapter 20 | Arc I

(3'rd POV)

"Come forth." When Ashborn said this, Uto and Cylrit widened their eyes from shock. 

Chills run down on their backs when Ashborn's shadows started expanding and started forming shapes of monsters. 

Monsters with black armor and purple glowing parts manifested. A terrifying amount of mana was emanating from them. 

'W-What the hell is t-this...' Both Retainers had similar thoughts. 

Ashborn meanwhile manifested his own black armor and black one-handed sword from his shadows. Right now, the sword that Ashborn was wielding was emitting more mana than Uto. 

'Do we even have a chance...' Uto thought while looking at monsters. 

"We have to hold our ground before Scythes arrive." Cylrit said took off from the ground. 

"They will arrive here?" Uto asked and his expression brightened a little.

"They would definitely feel such mana outburst." Cylrit told Uto. 

While they were talking about what to do next suddenly Beru appeared next to them. Uto's face paled when he saw Beru's speed. 

Cylrit not wasting any time took hold of Uto and moved him away from Beru. Cylrit brought out his large sword and tried to slash Beru, but ant avoided it without any problems. 

'This ant isn't even using Aether arts... It is using just physical capabilities, yet it's so fast!' Cylrit yelled in his mind.

"Uto use your spikes!" Cylrit yelled at Uto, but Uto's next words shocked him even more. 

"I can't use them! This guy can control shadows somehow!" Uto shouted and looked at Ashborn who was standing on Hawky and looking at them as if looking at bugs. 

"Tch. Just fight black monsters!" Cylrit yelled and started releasing some black fog that covered the battlefield. 

"Hm? this black fog has poison? No, it's something different..." Ashborn who was standing on Hawky felt something in black fog. When he exhaled he immediately understood that it had something. 

"Unfortunately for you, poisons nor your black fog won't work on me." Said Ashborn and looked at Cylrit. 

"Even that doesn't work?" Cylrit only had one option now. It was just to survive and wait for Scythes arrival. 

Ashborn's shadows already neared Uto and Cylrit. Uto had to fight monsters without his main ability because it didn't work on the shadow monsters. 

Cylrit also couldn't use his main ability because it didn't work on monsters nor Ashborn. He used gravity art to at least enhance his physical capabilities. 

When Cylrit hit one of the monsters and split it half mysteriously it once again merged in one. 

"These monsters can also regenerate!" Cylrit shouted for Uto to hear.

"I already know!" How much they fight doesn't matter, monsters regenerate even when they are hit in the head it just grows back. 

Cylrit and Uto were trying to get away from monsters as much they could. However, their mobility was top-notch, nobody was getting in a way of another. They were getting near Uto and Cylrit fastly. 

If they try to fly high, Ashborn or even Beru will bring them down. All of their abilities were nullified, and enemies were still in shape without any hints of exhaustion. 

While Uto and Cylrit started to pant hardly. Even hope that Scythe will come didn't raise their morale. 

What will change even if Scythe comes? the outcome was already decided in their eyes. They will die before any Scythes comes here.