Chapter 79 | The Shadow Monarch Returns to the World of Eternal Nothingness #1

I'm posting some chapters ahead of time on my discord server: https://discord.gg/r2VSvS5kaH
________________________________________________________________________________

As if the world itself shifted for the shadow soldiers, every one of them felt the strength leaving them. The connection between them and their lord was broken. This was comparable to losing five senses altogether.

The bright purple color on their bodies was slowly diminishing. With no strength in them, they fell to their knees.

'No, my liege!'

The first person to begin crying was Beru. He already paid no mind to the Monarch of the Plague. "What happened to my liege?" was the only question the ant king had on his mind, similar to others in his bunch.

The Shadow Army foolishly thought that they could finally overpower the Monarchs, with them losing numbers.

Apparently, it was just an illusion. The two monarchs went to help out the damn lizard in defeating their liege.

'It was our fault.'

Agrona was still very new in the army, but he established himself as the strongest. Their lord trusted them with commanding the rest, but if the most important soldiers can't set an example for others, what will the rest do?

'I had to notify the others sooner.'

They had a chance that they had to use before they were driven to the corner. Agrona could replicate the barrier once used by his lord against himself.

'Why didn't I use it?!' Inwardly, he screamed at himself, enraged by what had happened.

His screams, however, won't change what has already occurred. Agrona wouldn't be able to help out his liege, who was kilometers away, laying on the ground dead-cold with a hole in his right chest.

[This is magnificent!]

The three Monarchs gathered around the lying body of Ashborn, with Antares holding the black heart in his hands.

[Such power in this tiny item, and now it's ours.] The dragon monarch started to grin broadly as the black heart he was holding continued to glow with purple mana.

[Oh, Ashborn...I have outplayed you this time. Of course, I'd like to get this item for myself. It would've been stupid of me not to aim for it initially.]

Other monarchs followed his lead and began to mock the person. The latter did not hear any of it, though.

[Baran wanted to kill you first and even agreed to sneak up on you... the first attempt failed, and you still couldn't figure out our goal. That one mistake cost you this, as well as your life.] Antares pointed at the black heart.

[Antares, do you think he is dead?]

[No, he isn't yet. There is magic left in him. That's why we'll stay here until we confirm it.]

They have already seen the Shadow Monarch rise after a so-called "death", and he might do it again. Nobody knows what is going on in his mind, except for himself.

Ashborn, meanwhile, felt the darkness consume him. The taste of blood on his tongue, which also blocked his breathing path, seemed a lot more disgusting than before. He was so powerless that he had no strength to even open his eyelids.

The usual feeling of two hearts beating in his body had disappeared... Instead, there was one that had no use but to pump that iron-tasting human blood.

His mind was too tired to even think about what was going on anymore. Well, maybe he was feeling bad for those who he let down.

Ashborn definitely got close to people in this world.