BETTER

CHAPTER-12
BETTER

Caroline brought me back in my cage and asked me to clean up.

I didn't want to.

She insisted that she could at least run me a bath.

I said no.

I just wanted her to leave me alone. She gave me a sympathetic look and said, "I understand from your point of view, Stella, that you don't want to be here. You were brought against your will. But you should accept it now. The people who need love ask for it in the most unloving way. You need to love him, Stella. It's not impossible to do it."

And then she left me.

I curled up in the corner of my cage, the blanket still wrapped around me as I cried and shook. His blood had dried on my skin, my clothes still damaged but I didn't dare move.

What if he came again?

What if whatever Arnold gave him wasn't strong enough to keep him at bay?

I wrapped my arms around my mid section as I whimpered and sobbed. God, what had happened? What had happened to him? It was like...a switch of craziness was turned on.

I was so scared. What if Arnold hadn't come? What if Christian hadn't stopped? Would I be dead by now? Or he'd have taken me against my will and...

That thought made me whimper hard and pain shot through my arm. I had bruises on my arm, thighs and neck. But I made no move to tend myself.

My eyes were glued to the door, my body shook with fear.

I missed Liam. I missed him so much right now. This all wouldn't be happening if I hadn't agreed to do that stupid photoshoot. I had invited myself to the Devil's lair.

And now I had to bear its consequences.

******

I didn't know how much time had passed but I had fell asleep while crying.

But when I opened my eyes, the Devil was sitting before me.

I scrambled back, almost bumping into the table as I glued myself with the wall.

Christian was sitting on the floor in front of me, his head taped, scratches covered his face, his eyes haunted as he stared at me.

"I'm not going to hurt you."

I clutched the blanket tighter, like it was going to protect me from him. "You already did."

He pointed to his bandaged head. "You hurt me, too." It wasn't an accusation.

I nearly snorted. "Should I be sorry?"

He blinked, as if contemplating my question, "No."

His eyes scanned my face, neck and down, probably looking for bruises. "I didn't even hit you."

"You choked me to death, Christian."

He visibly tensed. "I don't like it."