Chapter 18

HE'S LYING. That's what Kelly thought. How could he say straightforward that he likes her?

"Does it sound strange?" Caleb asked. "That I like you?"

Mas ngumuso siya at umalis sa pagkakayakap nito.

"Well, I thought you're my friend. " The lamest thing she could say.

"Why? Can't I like a friend?"

Mas lalo siyang napairap. "I'm right. Maybe you did like Freesia or you still like her. Anyway, I don't care. "

"Freesia would stay as a friend, Kel. I never see her more than that. And I'm sure she feel the same way. "

Tumango-tango lang siya. "What now? You said you like me. "

Caleb looked at her with amusement. "I'd like you to be my girlfriend. What can you say?"

Yumuko siya, hindi maintindihan kung bakit gusto nito ng relasyon. "I told you, Caleb. I'm leaving Philippines in the few days. "

She likes Caleb too. But her career is waiting for her at the other side of the world. She can't sacrifice that one. She cried and sacrificed a lot for that passion and path she wants. It's a shame if she would stop.

Caleb sighed. "I know. But I heard with this thing long distance relationship. And I.. I can visit you often. Say once a week—

"It isn't that easy, Caleb. " She paused. "And you'll waste money just to visit me. "

He smiled like he has already a solution for it. "I have a private plane. "

Tumawa siya. "You would still waste money for the fuel. "

"But I'm rich, baby. "

Ngumuso siya, nagpipigil ng ngiti. "I know but.. you might just get tired of it. "

His forehead creased. "What about I live with you in States?"

Halos matumba siya. Tulala siyang napatingin kay Caleb na naghihintay sa sasabihin niya. She can't believe he just said that casually!

"Hindi puwede.. I mean.. what would people think of us? And I'm sure my parents won't agree with it. And.. and.. your work too.. " Nauutal niyang sinabi.

Pero, well.. p'wede naman yata.

Shut the fuck up, Kelly Lane. You're not going there!

"Then I'll live in another house. And my work, I could always work in my laptop and just go home if the meeting is important. "

Did he really thought of it that much?!

"I don't think that's necessary, Caleb. " Mahina niyang sinabi.

Kumunot ang noo nito. "Then what do you want?"

Napakagat-labi siya ng labi. "Maybe.. I-I'll leave and you.. you should continue your life here. You might find.. someone you would really l-love. "

"That's bullshit. " She bit her insides after hearing him cussed seriously. "We're not doing this, Kelly. "

Natahimik siya. "I'm sorry. I just.. I thought it was the right thing. "

Doon niya din namalayan na magagabi na. They are still in the cemetery, outside his car. Just how long this conversation will be?

Caleb sighed and opened the car. "I'm sorry. I didn't realized the time. Did some mosquitoes bite you?"

"No, but I'm cold. Pumasok na tayo. "

He took some blanket at the backseat and a bottle of water.

"I'm really sorry. Here, drink first. I'll lower down the air-con. "