Chapter 28

tw: abuse

THE KID resembled Caleb. Kaya naman unang kita palang niya sa bata ay may ideya nang lumulukob sa isip niya. Kelly doesn't want to admit it. At para bang kahit ang pag-isip ng bagay na iyon ay sobrang hirap. Is this the reason why he broke up with me?

Takot ang bata sa kan'ya. Iyon agad ang napansin niya nang magtagpo ang mata nila ng bata. Ni hindi nito napagpatuloy ang pagkain. The kid's shaking with fear. Medyo nagpanic na rin siya. Wala naman siyang ginagawa! She doesn't look scary, too!

"She's nice, Zumi. It's fine. You can keep eating, " pang-aalo pa ni Caleb sa bata.

The kid, or Zumi, nodded and glanced at her one last time. Kumikibot ang labi nito at tuluyan nang nagbaba ng tingin sa kinakain bago nagpatuloy.

Zumi looks like 10 or something. Don't tell me Caleb had Zumi when he was like 19?! That time, I'm still stalking him like a paparazzi! I didn't even know that he had a girlfriend that time! Whatever.

Caleb went to the small pantry. Habang naroon si Caleb ay tingin lang siya nang tingin sa bata. Nag-iwas siya ng tingin nang lumingon ito sa kan'ya.

Caleb went to her with a coffee. He handed it to her and made a gesture that they should talk outside. She agreed with it. Ayaw naman niyang marinig ng bata ang mga unnecessary words. Baka bigla siyang mapamura.

Padabog siya umupo sa rattan na mahabang silya at umupo rin si Caleb sa tabi niya. Caleb laughed at her so she glared at him.

"I know what you're thinking. " He roared in laughter.

"What? What am I thinking? I didn't know that you're a fortune teller now or something.. " inis niyang sabi.

"Zumi is my sister. Don't overthink. I don't have a kid. "

Ah. Sister.

Sister?!

Gulat siyang napatingin kay Caleb. Alam nga niyang may kapatid pa ito sa ina pero hindi iyon pumasok sa isip niya! What the fuck, Kelly. You're such a fake news.

Honestly, she's not really that mad if Zumi is Caleb's daughter. Maybe she'll just get mad at him for not telling. Pero naiintindihan niya na magkaiba pa ang mundo nila noon. Technically, Caleb didn't cheat on her. It's not like they are in a relationship years ago. Siguro ay hindi niya lang kayang tanggapin agad. Bukod sa nakakailang iyon, ayaw niyang masyadong maging feeling close.

"Zumi can't walk. "

Napatingin siya sa lalaki dahil doon. Napamaang siya sa sinabi nito. Zumi can't.. why..

Did Zumi got into an accident?

"She contacted Journey. I didn't even know that they talk. It's after my grandmother's death. And Journey just told me to go to hospital because someone was hurt. "

"Thinking that it's someone I know, I went there. Then I saw my mother outside of the emergency room and told me that Zumi was hurt. She's under emergency operation. " Tumawa ito. "Because this dear mother of mine was always busy with her whatnots, she didn't realized what's happening inside their household. So basically.. Zumi's been abused by her father everytime  her mother's away. It became serious until this happens. Zumi's father is a retired baseball player. He used the bat to.. " Hindi na nito pinatapos.

"Then I told my mother that I'll take Zumi with me once she get discharged. Do you know what she told me?" sarkastiko itong tumawa at sinipa ang maliit na bato. "She told me that I should pay first. She'll let Zumi in my care once I pay her. I didn't understand her. All these years, she kept on using Zumi as a reason why she can't visit Journey. That's she's busy with her kid and all. But seems like she didn't even care about Zumi. "