Chapter 1 - All In A Day's Work

DEAR READERS:

AS OF THE 1ST JULY 2017, THIS BOOK HAS BEEN FULLY EDITED, A FEW CHANGES INCLUDE:

- THE NAME MEGAN HAS BEEN REPLACED WITH MELISSA

- COMMENTS ON PARTICULAR SENTENCES WILL NO LONGER BE THERE AS A LOT OF THE CONTENT HAS BEEN FULLY EDITED.

I HOPE THAT THIS REVISED EDITION READS BETTER AND THAT THE QUALITY HAS IMPROVED.

PLEASE ENJOY!

*********************************************

Chapter 1 - All In A Day's Work

"As your best friend S, it's my duty to tell you, it's about time we found you a man," Melissa pointed out casually as we sat in my office.

"I have priorities, Melissa, and romance is not at the top of my list unfortunately for you," I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Well, I for one, think it should be," she stated in a very matter-of-fact tone.

"Well, it's not. End of discussion."

"Scarlett," she sighed. "You're twenty-three years old, and you haven't been in a long-term relationship for-"

"Melissa. Seriously, my work comes first. Relationships? Let's not." I muttered.

"Oh!" She smirked evilly. "I see!"

"See what?" I replied in a bored tone.

"Your work, huh? Or maybe it's the person you happen to work for!" She grinned, raising her eyebrows up to the heavens as if she'd made some ground-breaking discovery.

"Yes, I work for Jasper Queen! Yes, I am his secretary and yes - only his secretary!" I snapped, scrunching up the piece of paper in my hand.

Melissa stayed quiet for a few minutes as I felt a little guilty for snapping.

"He's hot, though, there's no denying that!" She grinned breaking the silence while winking at me. "Admit it, S!"

"Lord knows you would be fired in a heartbeat if you worked for Mr Queen," I laughed. "While I am not denying that he is good looking-"

"Who's good looking?" A deep voice interrupted from behind me as I swivelled my chair around to meet his gaze.

I felt my face flush as I locked eyes with this insanely handsome man, his electrifying blue-green eyes, tousled dark hair which gave him that sexy bedhead look, his angular jaw and his perfectly muscular physique – the total package if not for his narcissistic, douchebag personality.

He folded his arms, not taking his eyes off me.

"Well?" He pressed on.

"I'd best get going before my boss skins me alive," Melissa spoke, turning to Jasper. "Mr Queen, I'll have the blueprints sent directly to you by tomorrow."

He nodded as Melissa smirked before slinking out the door.

"I'm still waiting, Miss Valentina."

"Just a person I happened to know, Mr Queen," I shrugged, becoming irritated. "Did you need something?"

"As a matter of fact, Scarlett, yes I do. I have a business meeting to attend to in Paris in few weeks' time, and I would like for you to accompany me."

"Of course, Mr Queen. Is there anything else you'd like me to do?" I asked throwing the remains of my lunch away.

"I have some notes which need to be typed up from last night's meeting, and I'll need you to write out a few emails for me. I am also hosting a party in honour of the company's success tomorrow night. Will I have the pleasure of seeing you there?" He smiled charmingly as we walked towards his office.