Chapter 36 - Troubled Waters

A/N:

Check out the song above towards the end of the chapter, it's beautiful!

Enjoy the chapter, guys!
_______________________________

Chapter 36 - Troubled Waters

After I'd left the office building, a heavy feeling settled at the pit of my stomach and continued worsening to the point where I felt physically sick.

"Earth to Scarlett?" Melissa's voice spoke out, snapping me out of my trance.

After leaving the office I decided to visit Melissa for the rest of the day but I wasn't doing a great job in terms of keeping up the conversation as my mind was elsewhere.

"Sorry, Lissa," I apologized as she eyed me weirdly.

"I know you said yourself and Jasper had a minor conflict but judging by your demeanor, I'm guessing whatever happened was a pretty big deal. So, spill. What's the matter?"

"Like I said, Melissa, it really is not that big of a deal," I shrugged as she continued scrutinizing me. "I'm just a little -"

"Tense, upset, angry and hurt?" She interrupted, raising a brow. "Explain."

"My dad sent me a letter, Melissa," I began as the pit in my stomach deepened. "He attempted to apologize and he... He wants me to visit him."

"No. No freaking way is that happening." She replied defiantly as I resisted the urge to remind her that that was not a decision for her to make.

"I don't know, Melissa..." I trailed off as she stared at me, her expression perplexed.

"Scarlett Avery Valentina, are you telling me that you are even contemplating to see that sick son of a bitch after everything he put you through?" She yelled as I glared at her.

"Can you keep your damned voice down please? Your family are still here," I snapped quietly before pinching the bridge of my nose. "I need closure, Melissa. I have my mom's version of events and I need his."

"Scarlett," she whispered, her eyes becoming glassy. "Look at what he did to you. He broke you into a million pieces and shattered your confidence so terribly I thought you may never recover from the damage. He put you through sheer and utter hell, so, I cannot understand for the life of me why you would ever want to stand in that bastard's presence ever again. He doesn't deserve a second chance, Scarlett, he really doesn't."

"Melissa, I'm not going to see him to award him with a second chance," I sighed tiredly. "I told you - I need the closure. Nothing more, nothing less."

"I don't like this one bit, Scarlett," she responded, shaking her head. "But if you need to do this then I understand and I'll be there for you. You don't have to go through this alone anymore I promise."

"Thanks, Lissa, I love you," I smiled enveloping her in a hug as she squeezed me tight.

"I love -"

"Melissa?" I questioned worriedly as she stopped speaking mid sentence.

"My water," she breathed heavily. "It just broke."

"Holy shit!" I squeaked as I called her mom inside.

"Honey? Is it time already?" Melissa's mom, Samantha, questioned worriedly as Melissa groaned very loudly.

"Four weeks," she muttered through gritted teeth. "It's four weeks early."

Letting her mother guide her through the process, I quickly dashed upstairs and threw an overnight bag together for Melissa before making my way back down.