Chapter 4 - You're Fired

Waking up after having less than four hours' worth of sleep was the worst feeling in the world.

I dragged myself out of bed after debating on whether I should call the office and take a days' absence, but knowing my boss, he'd probably have the cops on my ass launching a full-scale investigation.

I had a quick shower and picked out my black pencil skirt and a dark purple blouse before applying some make up. I left my hair out, the soft curls cascading down my back as I sprayed myself with perfume.

Feeling satisfied with my appearance, I stepped out of the apartment and hailed a cab to take me to work.

It felt strange going to work after an awful night's sleep and not to mention the date last night.

Was it even a date?

I photocopied some documents as I wondered whether Vincent would even turn up this afternoon. My chain of thought was disturbed when my intercom buzzed loudly.

"Scarlett!" Jaspers voice boomed through my office, probably through the entire building, actually.

"Yes, Mr Queen?" I replied keeping my voice steadily calm as I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.

"Get into my office right now!"

I swung my legs off the desk as I made my way into his office.

"Is something wrong, Mr Queen?" I asked politely as I closed the door behind me. He had the look of hell written all over his face.

"I asked for the investment documents and list of applicants on Friday, where the hell are they?"

I walked up to his desk stiffly, feeling my nose flair, I moved a few sheets around before picking up the pile of sheets clearly labelled 'Applicants' and 'Investment'. I snatched them from the desk and held them out to Jasper.

"If that is all, Mr Queen?" I asked icily, folding my arms.

"You went out with Haynes, didn't you?" He accused, his eyes narrowing into slits.

"Yes. Yes, I did."

"After I specifically told you to stay the hell away from him?" He barked loudly kicking over the trash can beside his desk.

"You do not have any say in my personal affairs, Mr Queen." I said glaring at him in anger. "Was I not clear enough with you the last time we had this discussion? Do you need me to spell it out for you or chant in another language? You do not own me, Mr Queen."

"When he fucks you over Scarlett, don't come running to me," he muttered folding his arms.

"Trust me," I scoffed as I turned on my heel to leave. "You would be the last person I would come running to when he 'fucks me over'."

I sat back in my chair once I'd left Jaspers office eyeing my breakfast distastefully. I turned to my laptop as the sound of fast approaching heels came towards the desk. Within seconds a tall, platinum blonde woman stood in front of me.

"May I help you?" I asked her politely.

"Where's Jasper?" She replied rudely, her voice nasally and irritating.

"He's in his office at the moment, but I could book you in for an appointment if you'd like?"

"No. Just direct me there, we have... Unfinished business." She smirked wickedly as jealousy swirled through my stomach once again.