Chapter 17 - Lay Down Your Weapons

Half an hour to go and it will be over, I thought to myself in relief.

Jasper had made his speech and I watched him chatting with disinterest to an older man, who, from what I could see, wouldn't shut up.

Grinning to myself, I decided to take a quick break and explore the grounds of the manor.

"If he asks, could you tell Mr Queen I am just going to go and get some fresh air, please?" I said to one of the staff members who was on duty at the reception.

"Of course, Miss Valentina," he smiled warmly.

Stepping outside, I walked over to a bench in the grand garden of Bennington Manor, it was very beautiful.

"Miss Valentina," a voice called out just as I proceeded to sit on the canopy.

"Mr Johns."

Just my luck.

"Has your man left you, then?" He enquired nosily as I raised an eyebrow.

"Is there something you would like, Mr Johns?"

"There is one thing." He replied moving closer towards me as I moved further back. "You."

"I am going back inside. The reception is about to finish." I said as I attempted to leave before he grabbed my wrists, holding them tightly.

"You really do think you're special, don't you?" He snapped as he clamped a hand around my mouth dragging me to a corner.

He gathered my dress up in one hand and placed the other between my legs before forcing his lips to mine, the taste of brandy lingering on his rough lips. As he began to unbuckle his belt, I bit hard on his lip causing him to hiss in pain as I attempted to throw him off of me but he quickly pulled me by my hair as I yelped a little.

"Oh, you should not have done that. Just watch what I do to you, bitch!"

He threw me against the wall, his hand creeping to my breasts while the other was kept on my mouth as I squeezed my eyes closed, removing my stiletto from my feet before I opened my eyes, swinging the into the side of his face as he screamed bloody murder. I opened my eyes and saw him writhing on the ground where Jasper stood in front of him, his expression furious. He grabbed Gareth by the collar and swung his fist into his face, punching him repeatedly as he howled in pain.

"Jasper! Stop, leave him!" I urged desperately, pulling on his arm.

He looked down at me before closing his eyes, slamming Gareth back onto the floor.

He took my hand gently as we walked out of the gardens to the nearby parking lot where the Maserati was waiting.

Smith said nothing as we sat down, noticing that Jasper was more pissed off now than he was on the way to the benefit.

We rode in silence the entire way until Smith finally spoke.

"Where to, Jasper?"

"Mine." He replied calmly.

"If you could take me home, Smith, I would appreciate that," I croaked as he looked to Jasper for confirmation.

My eyes stung from my unshed tears as I desperately tried to stop them from falling.

I swallowed the lump in my throat as Smith parked up outside my home. Silently, I unbuckled my belt and murmured a goodnight to both of them before exiting the car. I was about to close the door behind me but Jasper kept it open, giving Smith instructions as I furrowed my brows in confusion.