Chapter 21 - Warts And All

Scarlett's POV

"Jasper, please, you know I hate surprises!" I whined as he guided me out of the jet with a blindfold on.

"Wait for it," he laughed at my annoyance.

Suddenly, I felt hot air rush towards as Jasper gently pulled off the blindfold.

"Italy?" I squealed as he grinned at me, picking me up. "Oh my God, Jasper, this is amazing," I said excitedly, planting a small kiss on his cheek.

"I want more than that, woman," he responded gruffly. "Tortured me for hours in there."

"I'm sorry," I laughed. "I'll make it up to you."

"I know you will," he smirked as I rolled my eyes.

We went through security before Jasper's driver dropped us off at his beach house which looked like something out of a magazine, it was just breathtakingly beautiful.

"Welcome to our home for the next two weeks," Jasper grinned as he opened the doors and we stepped inside.

"It is so beautiful, Jasper," I gasped, basking in the glorious interior.

"I'm glad you like it, Scarlett," he smiled, kissing my forehead. "Our things should be arriving soon, but, in the meantime, what do you want to do?"

"Anything as long as I'm with you," I replied shyly as he grinned at me.

"Let's go."

We visited the little market stalls and shops which sold cute handmade souvenirs before walking along the sands of the beach, dimly lit lights and lanterns scattered across the perimeter.

"Jasp, this is absolutely beautiful," I told him as I sighed.

"We needed this," he replied softly, kissing the top of my head as we sat on the sand.

"I know," I murmured as he lay down, his head on my lap. "And, I'm sorry for being -"

"Stop it." He snapped, glaring at me. "You need to stop fucking apologizing."

"What -"

"You apologize for every single thing that you aren't even responsible for, goddammit!" He practically yelled as I looked towards the ocean, afraid to look him in the eye. "And that..." He breathed helplessly.

"What?" I questioned seriously, bringing my gaze back to his.

"Why do you always look away from me, Scarlett? Why?" He asked, his tone defeated as I tried to think of something to say. "Please, baby, let me in."

I blinked furiously, taken aback by how desperate he was to find me out.

"Um..." I trailed off pathetically, my heart racing.

He is the only man in my life who has stayed long enough to unearth me and this was the least he deserved.

"Look, fine -"

"Can we go back to the beach house?" I interrupted quietly as he unsurely took my hand and led me back to our temporary home.

I sat on the recliner in the lounge as Jasper sat on the opposite side. watching me expectantly.

"Um, well, I might as well start from the beginning," I started, unable to keep my eyes on his. "I was born on June nineteenth, to my mom, Lisbeth and my dad, Oliver, who got hitched a month after meeting each other. Anyway, fast forward to the first six years of my life which couldn't have been greater. My parents were fantastic and we had everything we could have ever wanted until one day, I came home to find police officers everywhere." I choked out, adamant to keep my emotions intact.