Chapter 2 - Memory Lane

***

"Come here, Lettie, my love," he cooed holding the barbed wire in a leather clad hand as I remained frozen.

"You heard what he said - get up." His current muse smirked sadistically, pulling my hair as I lay on the floor, the blood seeping through my clothes. She successfully dragged me to my father who pulled the back of my shirt down, choking me before pressing the wire into my skin as I screamed in agony.

"I'll show you what happens when you get the socials involved in my life, my sweet child," he sneered in my ear.

"Wait, Oliver!" The woman shrieked. I almost sighed in relief thinking she wanted him to spare me. "Tell her to shut her goddamn trap, I don't need more cops tailing my ass, your drug deals are enough to get me fucked."

He smirked, rolling his eyes before he continued to press the wire deep into back as the blood trickled down my spine. I howled in pain before everything went colourless.

***

I screamed as I opened my eyes, my body dripping with sweat. Breathing heavily, I got up to open a window.

I hadn't had a dream like that in months.

I peeled back my sweat drenched pyjamas, examining my God-awful body in the mirror; the fleshy scars of the barbed wire etched just below the back of my neck, the large pink scar at the side of my body and the scar of a blade carved deep into my shoulder. And the worst of them: the dark scar that ran from my hip to just below my breastbone. I closed my eyes trying to snap out of it as I stepped into the shower, attempting to wash away the sins, memories and guilt of my past.

As soon as I'd finished, I quickly changed into a red dress paired with my favourite Louboutin's.

Serving as Jasper's secretary did come with its perks, I thought as I applied some make up, finishing with a dash of red lipstick before tying my hair into a loose bun allowing my bangs to flow freely. I grabbed my handbag and coat and strolled to work.

"Morning, Scarlett," Christine, the company receptionist smiled warmly as I walked past the front desk.

"Morning, Christine. How's our boss feeling today?" I asked, raising a brow.

"On a scale of one to ten, I'd say we're looking at around five to six." She laughed as I joined in. "He seems to be in a good mood. Good luck, anyway!"

"Thanks, Christine," I smiled as I got into the elevator. I opened my office door, placing my bag and coat away before sitting at my desk to make a few phone calls. I quickly arranged for some flowers to be sent to his latest (soon to be ex) girlfriend along with the custom made it's-not-you-it's-me card, just to make them feel that little bit more special before being dumped – Jasper Queen was a total jackass when it came to women.

Too much money and not enough sense, I'd always thought.

"Good morning, Scarlett."

Speak of the devil.

I looked up from my desk as he closed the door behind him. He was wearing black trousers and a crisp white shirt with a grey tie, his dark hair was styled messily to perfection – goddamn, did this man know how to dress to impress.

"Good morning, Mr Queen." I smiled politely. "The flowers you wanted have been sent for Miss Rose."

"Ah, Miss Rose. It's a shame she was nothing like a rose, more like a dandelion or a weed," he muttered as I stifled a laugh. He smirked, folding his arms. "Do I amuse you, Miss Valentina?"